Urgent Clarification Required Friends....

Hai friends, I have been offered a job in Tanzania with the salary of 45000INR in an educational institute. I am married and planning to come and settle as a family there.They are offering a salary of 35000INr for my wife. Now in India we are earning 35000. Is this a good deal? Is it a safe country(I am asking this question since many of my frnds are saying no to African country)???Is it possible to save more amount of money if we take this offer. They also agreed to provide food and accommodation there.Kindly help us in decision making....

Hi and welcome to the forum ponsuresh!

I hope other members will show up with some good advices soon ;)

Regards
Armand

hello ponsuresh
tanzania is as safe as india.as for salary  ther its upto you how you spend your money.if housing is provide there,you may be able to save some money.try to negociate best deal.ie electric,water transport and house help.good luck to you
regards

Hi,

I dont blame you for thinking Africa is not safe at all...as few years ago even i was thinking the same as you do...reason being that media has created a total different view in our minds.

But the truth is there is a large community of indians staying here for years and its quiet safe. To tell you the truth Tanzania is more safer that India. In india we hear different kinds of crime Rape, Murder, Kidnapping but here there is only one crime that is theft...yes its not advisable to move around alone at night after 11pm in Dar es Salaam and after 8pm in towns like Arusha. Yes if you have a car then no issues u can move around the whole night also but not advisable. Its like you are inviting trouble.

As far as work is concerned ..depends which city are you getting the offer from as Dar is a bit expensive compared to other cities in Tanzania.

I stay in Arusha and my monthly food expense comes up to $200 - $400 a month (Me. my husband, and 3kids) so i beleive if only 2 of u then it should be $200 to $250 a month...getting lavish food (imported stuff and all) but to be on a safer side keep it as $300 as u would not know from which shop to buy and compare which shop is cheaper as all the shops here has their own prices you will have to do a bit of exercise for the first 2 months. So Dar es Salaam is a bit more expensive so it might come upto 400 to 500 $

In Dar you both hus & wife put together should be able to earn in the range of $2000 - $2500 + facility provided like House Rent+Medical+school Fees+transport. In town like arusha $1500 -$2000 + facility provided.

Make sure you have things n writing as you will get stranded and tied down here if you are in their visa. Better come on 2 months probation visa(visit Visa) and after 2months ask for another 2months visa and see how the work is as professionalism is out of the window in this country. Since you are Indian National u can come on a visit visa u get it on arrival it costs $50/-
Be sure about your packages as salary doesnot increase here on a regular basis. You might be working on the same salary for years. so negotiate with them well or check what will be the increament schedule and get it in writing.
It same as India the one who has money in the pocket they can mend the rules so get things in writing. Never give your passport to them as by law they can not hold your passport.

Hope this will clear the picture in your mind. Be sure you will definately enjoy this place its not bad. Infaact the indian who have come here doesnot wish to go back and settle they love to go for a visit. As life is not that fast track like its in India you can spend time with your family after6pm.

Ya make sure about the working hours as co. realy make the expat slog again get in writing.
One more thing check the apartment facility like the building or the colony has the generators or bore well pump. As Dar has alot of issues in relevant to electricity and water. Dar is a very hot and congested city like Mumbai.

If you have any other query inbox me i shall revert back

Hi ALiyaz,

I am one of the aspirants planning to take up an assignment in Dar in a month or two and hail from India, your words create confidence in welcoming apirants to TZ, thanks for sharing the naked facts, how's the food and restautants in DAR, also can you update on the Rental part of houses, paying guest accom, planning to reah alone now and would invite family after few months.... pl advice.

Regards

GVR

House rent range from $700 to 1800 for a 2bedroom apt depending where u get the house

As when we were planning to shift to Dar and were looking around for a house the flats were ranging to this amount in city centre.

But if u r getting a job try to get salary+accommodation+ + what is have mentioned in my earlier post

Food: you can get all type in Dar. Don't worry abt food there are a lot of indian,chinese restaurants.

If know cooking all the more better.

Tz is very fomous for barbeque chicken and meat sold on every corner of the street(its know as mishkaki(BBQ -meat) and kuku(chickn))if u are a met eater u will certainly love it and its sold at very reasonable rate and also make sure u get malaria injection prior to travellin and u also get dabur sudharshan churan (that's anti malaria tablet) as Tanzania esp dar is very sensitive ppl can catch malaria very fast.

All the best

Hi Aliyaz,

Thanls for your update, initially the company said of providing me temporary accom, however i need to search once i am there hopefully by July end if things go well, also pl confirm what would be the Rent for a Single Bedroom as i may not need a 2 Brd, also are these flats furnished incl kitchen, do we need to buy kitchen utensils, etc.

How about the furniture and other stuff, do we need to move our cargo from India to save Money as the power ratings are same to my knowledge, what's ur suggestion, are all the flats and independent houses furnished with AC's and other stuff, as this is for the first time i am travelling to Africa it would be so kind of you if you could share this valueble info, where do you stay, i may stay in Dar only and moreover somewhat nearer to Jamhuri St in DAR only, suggest me the best REsidential localities place to live with Indians only. 

Where do you hail from, since how long have you been staying in TZ, post any more imp info with updates, once again thanks for your courteous inputs. Reg

aliyajmirza wrote:

House rent range from $700 to 1800 for a 2bedroom apt depending where u get the house

As when we were planning to shift to Dar and were looking around for a house the flats were ranging to this amount in city centre.

But if u r getting a job try to get salary+accommodation+ + what is have mentioned in my earlier post

Hi ALiyaz,

Could you also let me know the schooling for indians, my kid is 9 yrs and is now getting into 5th class CBSE, what are the India schools with CBSE syllabus, dont need the costlies but schools with good standards of teaching is the prerequisite.

I would like to shift only once i settle, so when do the schools start their academic yr... can we get admissions even during the mid of the year.

Regards

aliyajmirza wrote:

isdtz.org/index.htm

hcindiatz.org/emp_tz.htm

check the above links

Hi Aliyaz,

Thanks for your info.

Regards

Thanks ally. U covered everything, except driving rules over here. As most of the expats are provided with the car, advise expats on friday night harassment by the police. Dar is congested only in the town, and around Mikocheni, still we can breathe some good air.

Dear Madurai,
I just join Expat , I've been travelling back & from Arusha , since 2005, , in 2008 I stayed 4 months , in 2010 , 7 months , now am moving for the rest of my life to Arusha , is a very safe place to live , of cause , You'll find people who wants to take advantage from  '' Mzungu '' ( white person ) , You've to be very carefull , no trust no one , all they want is to take Pesa $$$$ . but there's also good ones .... , all banks are safe, polices are all over the place, no worry , but just keep off $$$ from people eyes  so You'll avoid problems .
I operate a safaris & trek compagny with my Masai husband , & we do have a very safe plaisant life together , having wonderful friends from all over the world  that are coming to work , to study , to do voluntering , so feel safe to come
welcome , Karibu Tanzania
Brigitte .

Brigitte , is it true what are speaking the people in Tanzania,
that the Masai can see in the darkness and that they are trinking blood from albinos for breackfast,
so they are not going to be seek all life ?

rikiking wrote:

Brigitte , is it true what are speaking the people in Tanzania,
that the Masai can see in the darkness and that they are trinking blood from albinos for breackfast,
so they are not going to be seek all life ?

Whow ..... where did You got that crazy story ??? Yes Maasai drink blood but from cows only  mixt with warm goat milk & it's very teasty & good  ;no worry they live like other people all around the word , people have different food , Americains , eat cook blood , so !!!!Inuits up north Canada in Baffin , eat caribou that they just kill.Vegetarian no eat meat  sometimes , red blood cells go so down doctors advise them to take " hemosomaton " fresh blood in small glass containers  so are they vampires ???
Brigitte