Moving to Mauritius....

Hi there

There's a big possibility that we might be moving over in the next couple of months - it's myself, my partner and 33 month old little girl.

I have a couple of questions - the medical tests required, I know that 3 of them HAVE to be carried out in Mauritius, but what about the rest, could my local Doctor do them?  I only ask because I seem to be getting conflicting info online - some say all the tests need to be done in Mauritius, and some say we can get the majority done in our home town.

The other thing is we're rather overweight - would this have any baring on the medical tests....would they refuse us entry based on that?

Many thanks in advance for your help!!!

Hi and welcome on board piginawig!

Are you applying for an occupation permit?
The remaining tests can be done in your home country but they must be certified by a local doctor before you submit your application.
I don't think there is any issue about the fact that you are overweight.
I hope other members will share their experience with you soon ;)

Regards
Armand

Hi Armand!

Thanks for your reply.  That's good to know about the tests being carried out here - we can get those sorted at least. 

Yes, it would be via an Occupation Permit.

Many thanks

Thanks for the info Nadeem - very useful!

One more question - which Health Insurance company is best to use?

Many thanks

Vikki (aka piginawig)

Nadeemh wrote:

Hi Piginawig,

Though you can have part of your test done in your home country by a certified practician, I strongly recommend you have them done here. It would be very much easy while you submit the whole documentation to the BOI here. Secondly, in order to avoid any queries from the BOI, which might be quite touchy on the matter as they may not be in a position to counter verify the authenticity of those tests done in your home country etc...it might create a lot of hassle, which could be easily avoided if you do the tests here in a private clinic. The tests are normally available in 12 hours and cost on average a 130 euros per person and are accepted by the BOI without any query pertaining to their authenticity.

Regards,
Nadeem

Hi. Are these tests required of people who hold passports where they're given visa on entry? I also heard that documents like a birth certificate and letter of morality are needed if one is going to request for work or residency permit. Please can you confirm? Thanks.

Hi,

well I'm going to give conflicting info as my employer asked me to do the tests prior to leaving. It's actually part of the documents you have to submit before you get your provisional OP, which you need to produce at the airport - otherwise you get in on a tourist permit and then you need to go back to your home country and come back again because the document is validated at the airport (expensive and tedious...). Besides, the tests you have to do here are the same as those you do at home except that they don't require you to do the stool test again (yeaaahhhhhh!), and the blood test is limited to an HIV test. So you HAVE to do them in your home country if you want to follow the regular, secure procedure.

Good luck!