English language schools

Hello,

I am moving to Shanghai in the summer of this year and have an ambition to work in an English language school. I am a recent graduate looking to eventually found my own language company. What barriers do you all think i may encounter when trying to start up my own business in Shanghai?

Furthermore i am looking to make connections before i go. Can anybody give me a list of popular British expat events and meetings that i would be able to join?

Many thanks and i can't wait to move to Shanghai!

Alex

Hi Alex,
Have you found a English school to work in? There are a lot of English schools in Shanghai. Some of them have already attracted thousands of people. It's difficult to start up your own business unless it's very special. I'm a Shanghaiese, so I know the situation. If you have some questions, I'd like to help.

Mandy

Hi Mandy,

Thank you so much for your reply. Can i ask what do you mean by 'special'? Would you know if there are any language schools which were started by foreigner people or are they all Chinese?

Thank you so much for your help,

Alex

Hi Alex:

I've just returned from teaching in Shenzhen with Web International English.  Web has over 75 branches throughout China. Their head office is in Shanghai.  I'm sure you can arrange a position with Web or even Wall Street English which is also in Shanghai.

Both these schools pay good salaries (Shanghai is expensive to live in) and provide a very nice atmosphere to teach in, as well most (not all) students are adults.

Good luck in your search.

Regards,

Ken

hi freind am geofrey from uganda and of now am in weifang in shandong but hoping to move to shanghai after my chinese language course.please dont hestate to email [email protected]
thanks

there are already dozens of language schools in Shanghai with multiple branches, set up by different companies and with great track records... I agree with Reds831, unless you have some special gimmick to get people in your doors when there are so many language schools with such success it's going to be difficult and that's going to be the biggest hurdle...

guyz my name is xabi,i m frm pakistan, can any1 tell may da universities whch are offering courses in english for da international students..... and can u tell m da environment for da students in china and is dere halal food available???? please please reply on ma email "[email protected]" ... thanku so much

Hi!  Have you guys heard of ENL Academy Shanghai?