Seeking Accommodation in Amsterdam for next week!

Hi,

I am a 27 year old British male moving to Amsterdam from UK next week to seek work and settle down with my family. My wife and son are in India and will join me when I am ready.

Firstly I need to find shared accommodation whilst I do a job search and register for tax at the municipality. I already have an online travel agency and online freelance work in the UK, but I want something stable in Amsterdam, i.e. an office, full-time.

I am just looking for good contacts and friends, ideally some contacts in English speaking companies in Amsterdam.

If anyone can help with accommodation or offer any advice then just let me know at [email protected].

Thanks!

Adam

Hi bud, welcome to the forum,

For work check out the TomTom website and werk.nl, TomTom is always hiring international people, I went for a job there myself once in the English section.  I went in a different direction in the end. Check out Google for shared accomodation in Amsterdam, rooms are'nt cheap but you may get lucky.

Cheers

Bill :cool:

Thanks Bill,

TomTom is a really good tip, thanks for that! I'm a complete newbie posting on forums, so it's great to get a quick response! :)

I'm still looking for shared accommodation, I think I might have to take the risk and book a short while in a hostel whilst I look for a room.

Just want to get an idea how important is location in Amsterdam, is public transport efficient and cheap? Is a commute worth it from outlying towns (by public transport)? Any ideas welcome :)

Thanks again...

Adam

Public transport over here is the best I've ever seen and I've travelled a lot.  Busses seem to run on time and are frequent, trams would rather run you down in the street than be late to the next stop and even the trains seem to arrive when they should.  Been English it's a complete novelty to me!  Plus don't forget the Netherlands is flat as a pancake and you can cycle most places very quickly, cycles paths are everywhere and in Amsterdam bikes are only second to trams when it comes to getting around.
I live around 25k from Amsterdam and it takes around 45mins on the bus, I work all over Amsterdam and commute around on a scooter, takes me about an hour even to the furthest places. Living outside the city is cheaper but you have to drive in and by car it can take a long time to get into the city, the roads here are always busy, so I use the bus or my scooter because it's quicker.

I don't know if any of that made sense, I've had a beer or two tonight and might be rambling..............