Hi all - need estimation of monthly expenses

Hi All,
I am sunil from India(Chennai). I am planning to move to Krakow.
Thanks a lot for all the members here, I got lots of info here from the posts.

I have come up with the below given estimation for monthly expenses. Please let me know if it makes any sense.

Expenses    Euros
Rent    637
Food/transport/utilites    600
Medical/insurace/retirmentplan/etc    300
For tour/Travel    130
Total    1667

Thanks in Advance
Sunil.P

HI Deepak,
Thanks a lot for sharing the info in mail. I tried to reply, but there was some restriction saying I should post some messages in forum,, before I can send messages.

Thanks again :)

Cheers
Sunil.P

I think you are looking at spending WAY too much on food and rent in krakow,  600 euros per month is a huge place in kasimeres, you should easilly be able to cut those expenses in half. 

Chad

Hi Sunil,

Welcome to Expat-blog! :)

ps: concerning your message system, have a look at the explanation here: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=23238

Thank you and good luck
Christine

Hi Sunil,

I think these costs are a litlle too high.

637 for rent is enough to find a quite good flat
600 for food and other things is too much. But it depenends. If u want to eat out in the restauranst every day then it can be cquite costly.

If u want to use public transport the best solution will be to buy a monthly ticket. It costs less than 25 euro.

And I agree with Chad. With normal style of living, u can cut this amount in half.

If u need more details or any kind of help, u can always ask me :)

Regards
Ania

Hi All,
I am happy to see such a wonderful people(Chad, Ania, Christine) with great helping nature.

@Ania: Thanks for extending the helping hand. So nice of you.

@Christine: Thanks for sharing the info on why I was blocked from sending messages. I should say it is good spam counter measure.  :)

Coming back to expenses here is the split up, I am looking at leading  a middle class lifestyle. Please see if my figures are okay and also see if I am missing something here.

Details    Euros
Rent    500
Transport    25
Fitness    30
Food    300
Electricity, Gas, Water, Garbage    90
Internet    12
Mobile    10
Medical/insurace/PensionPlan/etc    300
Tour/Travel    130
Total    1397

Cheers
Sunil.P

Dear Sunil,

I think that these costs are more less adequate to standarts right now :)
But u should be always prepared for some additional expenses.

Few remarks:

If u want to use pre-paid mobile phone, 10 euro per month may not be enough. It also depends how often u want to call or text.

300 euro for medical and insurance it's quite high amount. U will hv a job in Cracow? If yes, then u should get this kind of medical insurance from ur company. If not, in a private medical centers u can buy a monthly pass for medical services but I dont know the prices.

If u need more info, just ask :)

Regards
Ania

My last place in krk was 1200zl = 400euro per month for a wonderful 2 bedroom house with a garden.  Of course it came with a psychotic landlord, but thats another story.

I usually spend 50-60 euro per month on bills, and 300 per month on food.

just look around and you'll do fine.

Chad

Hi all,

Should really appreciate the moderators of this site fantastic job with your helpful quick replies. Same on the lines of Sunil, I would be soon taking up a job in Krakow, and moving with my family 2 adults and 2 kids. Would like to know the following

1. Good schools in Karkow as my elder son is 5 yrs and would need to be admitting to a good international school or other good school with english as medium and how much it would cost interms of fees.

2. A good decent apartment aprox 1600 sft near good transport facility.

3. Please advice should I buy a car and if so would my Indian driving would suffice?

4. What is the income tax percentage deduction in Poland is there any way to save tax.

5. Can poland visa be used for working otherthan in Poland. I mean in European union countries?

Thanks
Gopinath.

Hi Gopinath!

Answering ur questions:

1. There's one international school in Cracow which I know.
It's located near the city centre.

Here is a link to their website:
http://www.ke.edu.pl/english/oferta_ed.php

School starts on 1st of September. If u want u can contact them earlier by e-mail.
School fees are: 800 PLN per month or 1200 PLN (including meals)

2. When are u planning arrive to Cracow? Soon it means 1 month or more? During summer it should be much easier to find a good apartment because all students will be on a summer holiday :)
If u want I can send u some flat-rent addresses.

3. Public transport in Cracow is quite good. If u live in the city centre having a car is more a problem than makes life easier. If u need a car u can buy here sth cheap and good (used one) for the amount around 5.000 - 8.000 PLN
Indian driving ID is not sufficient here. But what I've heard from my friends, u can exchange it into Polish after passing theoretical tests + paying special fee.

4. Normal income tax percenatge deduction in Poland is 19% but it depends from ur salary. But the deduction from the salary in total is always higher because of social security found, etc.

5. Polish visa can be used only in Poland (in therms of working). Only in Schengen area it's treated like transit visa (so u can travel without additional documents) but not in every EU country.

If u need more info, u can always write to me. I'll try to help u.

Ania

@Gopi: Nice to see you here, We both are in the same boat. :)
@Ania and Chad:  Thank you :) Now I have some idea about the living cost in Krakow.  Anna I believe you want to learn Hindi, I know little bit of Hindi, let me know if you need any help.

Cheers
Sunil.P

@Sunil, same here, nice to see you. Are you moving with you family with Kids?

Ana, thank you very much for your valuable inputs, will take yur help in finding an apartment when my complete travel plan is done. On the schooling Idid lot of research what ever available information in google, English medium school is the major constraint I see, Krakow International and British Interntional schools are very very expensive not affordable. they are anywhere between 50000PLN per annum, for both my kids together its way beyond. Is there any other affordable good schools which English as instruction in Krakow? This would be my deciding factor on Krakow opportunity. I visited the website you had given, but they have not given the fee structure there. (may be I missed it. Rest I think cost of living is at par with India.

Thanks
Gopi

You will have a lot of choices on schools and when choosing an english school in KRK, so take your time and shop around.  Also Polish folks will bargain with you, tell them you want a deal because you are enrolling 2 kids and they will most likely give you one.  It may not be much but everything helps.  I know there are at least 8 schools in teh main center, and a lot of students looking to make extra money by teaching.    My wife worked at noe of the schools so please let me know what area of town you are in and I will check with her on good schools and get back to you.

Chad

Hello All  I plan to move to karkow in next 3-4 months with my family from India, Mumbai. I read the blogs and indeed they are very helpful. I have few doubts to add a) how the  tax to salary is calculated in %. b) is there any change in the cost of living or its still the same b) can i expect is living of three in one bedroom flat with food, transport, bills with 3000pln (750 euro) approx.

Hi ASharma,

have you already moved to Krakow?