Moving from abroad to Amman / customs regulations

Bonjour,

I will be moving to Amman next august- i have already enrolled my daughter in her new school- i am thinking of moving my personal belongings only it seems according to what i have found about customs regulations laws in Jordan that personals goods entering Jordan, even old, are heavily dutiable !

Has anyone moved its properties : kitchens appliances,tv ... how did it go ? what about cars ?

Some friend of mine told me i could enter a car tax free as i will be with a student status ! where can i check this information ?

Any information, official link, would be appreciated.

Thank u all
Sheherazade :)

Hi Shera89

Yes its true that customs tax household goods quite heavily, even used items are valued.  I have friends who brought in a container of household items from the UK and the tax was over 3000 JD but if you buy new here you will still pay tax so you have to weigh up the difference in cost.  I've no idea about the tax free cars for students, only heard it's available for diplomatic staff.  This would be an interesting topic to open up on the forum if people who have experience in this field contribute to it.

Hello,

thanks for ur answere the only one ! i guess expat who have moved have left that behind it is such a big deal !!- since i post i made my own researches and phoning the french embassy i have been given the phone number of the Royal Automobile Club 06 46 22 467 - they have been of a great help - i suggest to anyone interested by the topic to get in touch with them - for personnal belongings such as household goods i am still checking - i will post when i have the final answere.

BW
S

[Moderated: Off topic. Please post in classifieds]

Hello Shera and other,

I offer my hospitality when you come to jordan. I am married and have two kids... I know alot about jordan please call me upon arrival.. I will be available. I wish you a great stay in Jordan.

Hi shera
I advise you not to bring any electrical appliances or furniture to avoid spending the Customs and fees, and either the subject of car you introduced to a certain period only and to think that four months and I'm not sure of the duration and then you have to return the car to your country or sell a free trade zone here

And If you need any questions or help you can send me a message and I am ready to provide any assistance you need here in Jordan and this is the link official

http://www.customs.gov.jo/English/default.shtm

to import stuff into Jordan is expensive due to heavy taxation (upto 70%). my advise is to safe the money and buy what you need here. you can always rent a furnished place to avoid the hassle. this is what i have been doing the last 3 years. can always give you options on accomodation as I work in real estate: [email protected]

im guessing your entered jordan with non-jordanian passport if so you can do that you pay yearly fees i think im not sure , and as soon as you finish your study they take it , but the most important thing is being a student and having a non-jordanian passport if you want more help i can ask my iraqi friend who have had a similiar situation
send me an email at
[email protected]

Hello

I just saw your posting and was curious which school you have enrolled your daughter for as we are also relocating to Amman in July and unsure which is the best schhol for our son and daughter

Any help is appreciated

Rita and Andy

Hello,

As we are french we choose the french school on which u will find all informations on this link. wehttp://linux.efa.edu.jo/drupal/ - they accept non-french pupils as well

You may find some other schools with this link as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_schools_in_Jordan

BW
Shera

Hi, I want to get married with my Jordanian boyfriend.. and when I make my single status certificate in immigration lawyer office, they told me I need the approval from Jordanian Embassy from Washington D.C too.. anyone have an idea how I contact to embassy?

Hi prettypinky,

It really depends on where you are now. Are u in the states or Jordan? I think your boyfriend should take care of all the procedures and he should go the embassy, not you. If you think i can help on sth please contact me on [email protected].

rgds,

Bilal

Hi, Bilal

Thanks for your help, I m in States right now..He'll take care of all the procedures in Jordan side, but He can't help me to get the Single status certificate in here that I must do by myself..let see for tomorrow Embassy answer bcoz I corresponded to them by email.or I'll call when in working hours..I got help from Immigration lawyer side that they can provide for me till Notary done.Only I need to know from Jordan US embassy side whether they need to legalize stamp to my document or not...anyway, if you have any further idea , just let me know.

Hi prettypink,

I wish you all the best. I think your Jordanian boyfriend is very lucky. I will try to go to the embassy website, and give u some answers.

best,

Bilal

Thank you very much..

You are most welcome. By the way, I read in the news that you are facing unprecedented heat waves in the states, including Philadelphia. My brother lives in California. I wish you all the best and stay away from the sun. I did not forget about the website :)

Best,

Bilal

Dear Bilal,

sorry for my late reply, yes, we had a really hot summer days in last week.. We got better during those days bcoz of unexpected rain. My fiance's brother-in-law is a lawyer in Amman. So, I asked him to ask about all the requirements for me. Hope everything will be fine. Wish you have a great summer!

First time you enter Jordan u take car permission for 1 month. You have to bring documentation from ur daughter school that she is a student during the academic year. Go to Airport Free Zone (Car Section) and extend ur allowance for one academic year. In summer u have to go abroad by ur car and re-enter to repeat the cycle. You have to find Car Terebtic company to give you Terebtic Car Book. This book is used to make car re-entry.

Good Luck
It is awful job

DR. Sherif