Marriage in Hungary

Dear everyone,

I am interested in finding out what the benefits are for two non-EU citizens in getting married in Hungary. Namely, I would like to know whether Hungarian law provides any social protection or privileges to foreigners from non-EU countries deciding to get married here.

Thanks a lot for your replies.
M.

mandanata wrote:

Dear everyone,

I am interested in finding out what the benefits are for two non-EU citizens in getting married in Hungary. Namely, I would like to know whether Hungarian law provides any social protection or privileges to foreigners from non-EU countries deciding to get married here.

Thanks a lot for your replies.
M.

Not entirely sure what would be expected - social protection or privileges? What kind? But anyway, I doubt it is any different from elsewhere in the EU.

The procedure as far as I know includes obtaining information from your embassy (notarised certificates of divorce etc) to allow you to get married here and there is quite a residence requirement prior to actually getting married (assuming you are not already here).  Then there's undertaking the vows in a foreign language maybe. Only the State can marry you in Hungary, not religious venues (unlike some other countries - e.g. UK - where you can be married legally in say, a church).

My wife and I got married in the UK because the requirements are less than in Hungary (mainly the residence one).  It does cause some knock on issues, mainly that if you have kids, in some countries you need official translations of the marriage certificate in order to register the birth. We also have hassle with the UK authorities over birth certificates but the latest birth certificates are in a normalised "EC" format and in Hungarian, French and English.

The law is relatively fluid. However, we have had to have official translations (English to Hungarian) which is a cost we did not anticipate and was not necessary previously.

Thanks for your reply. :)

Perhaps I was a bit vague. I'm not interested in the marriage procedure since I'm already familiar with it. I'd like to know specifically about provisions pertaining to foreigners marrying in Hungary in Hungarian law. For instance, whether there are any entitlements according to family law in Hungary for foreigners with residence permits who have married in a Hungarian institution etc.

I do appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Hi,

I think the only difference you'll experience is not having to present a notarized translation of your marriage certificate...

I can however offer my best wishes for the new couple, and a handful of rice thrown high up in the air as you exit the church :-)

mandanata wrote:

Thanks for your reply. :)

Perhaps I was a bit vague. I'm not interested in the marriage procedure since I'm already familiar with it. I'd like to know specifically about provisions pertaining to foreigners marrying in Hungary in Hungarian law. For instance, whether there are any entitlements according to family law in Hungary for foreigners with residence permits who have married in a Hungarian institution etc.

I do appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Can you be specific? Inheritance? Divorce? Or obtaining something like permanent residence?

All socal benefits depend on your residency status and nothing else. So if you are married or not, (and where you got married) doesn't matter at all.