Tempted with Oman

Hi to all,

Hoping someone may be able to help me out here.

I have been considering moving with my family from Asia to Oman. Potentially late 2011 or 2012.

I will be bringing my family (wife and 2 kids aged 4 and 1)

I work as a Financial Adviser and would like to get an understanding of the size of the expat community in Oman, as that is who i specialize in helping with their financial planning.

I have been advised that the expat community doesn't grow so quickly in Oman so any thoughts on that would be great( are the companies still bringing in a steady stream of expats ?).

In terms of getting a job there I already have several open ended offers, however as traditionally in our profession we depend on commissions from writing new business I don't want to turn up there and find that its not a good destination and then end up living off savings for the next 2 years or so.

My other thought is to hold tight here in Asia for a while longer and see what emerges in Europe for the next 12 months or so as that is also an option being considered.

Anybody have an idea of the cost of living in Oman, ie rent, schools, cars and general living costs ?

Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Oman will welcome you warmly.
It is a great place for families with younger kids: peaceful with amazing nature that is accessible in winter. Most expats are sent home for the hottest months of summer.
According to the recent census, roughly a third of Oman's 3 million population is expatriate, but only a fraction of them would be in the market for financial planning services. However, since they are usually in the country for employment, employers have powerful leverage to reach them.
There are abundant opportunities, although it is a challenging culture and climate to adjust to.
Good luck with the big decision.

Just saw that you accepted. Hope it works out well - such a wonderful place!

Hi Friends,

I wish you all the best dears and welcome any time in Oman.

Be happy when you are in Oman :)

Best Regards
Ammar