Tempted with Spain

Hi to all,

Hoping someone may be able to help me out here.

I have been considering moving from Asia to Spain (to be closer to family & friends in the UK) and was initially thinking of doing this late 2011.

However as I work as a Financial Adviser I am concerned with the economy in Spain at the moment. All the reports I am reading out here are pretty negative about Europe in general, particularly Spain and I am hoping someone who actually lives and works there could shed some light on what its like there.

Because of my job I worry that setting up at the moment might be detrimental to my business, are people actually confident about the markets there ? Are new expats still coming into Spain, Are the big companies still hiring there ?

In terms of getting a job there I already have several open ended offers, however as traditionally in our profession we depend on commissions from writing new business I don't want to turn up there and find the "arse has fallen out of it" and then ending up living off savings for the next 2 years.

My other thought is to hold tight here in Asia for a while longer and see what emerges in Europe for the next 12 months or so.

Potentially looking to move to Valencia, Madrid or Barcelona area, anybody have an idea of the cost of living in those areas, ie rent, schools, cars ?

What's the expat community like in Valencia, large or small ? Is there much expat business there ? I understand Barcelona & Madrid will be bigger / busier ?

Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

I am not in the financial sector but news are not so good actually, as you probably now. The government and financial institutions are struggling to try to have Greece problems to expand to Spain (as to Italy). So markets does not look confident with Spain.

Cost of living: you should be able to find some studies on Internet. Usually, you have to pay (these studies are bought by companies to manage expat contracts) but you can alwas find some resumes on internet.
Madrid is the capital: busy, probably more expats, cost of living higher (probably 1,5 to 2x Valencia).
Barcelona: don't know very well, but not speaking Catalan might be an obstacle.
Valencia: I like the town and the people, life looks really cool (near the sea), probably less active than Madrid.

Hope it helps

Spain -- Madrid: Overpriced -- VERY overpriced housing, food, expenses (euro trades to the dollar at 1.42 for example...), 45% youth unemployment, 20% overall unemployment, but the weather is nice and dry (in Madrid)...

Barcelona: same thing, but you also need to speak Catalan to be treated better in general.

Valencia: Cheaper, but same thing: no jobs.

Spain is great if you have money and don't need a job. If not, then don't come here. Most people who don't have jobs can't wait to be able to leave and find a place with more opportunities.