How do I bring my cat to Buenos Aires?

I am considering moving to Buenos Aires within the next yr, but one of the issues that has me very concerned is that I have a cat.  I've heard horror stories about people moving to foreign countries and their pets are in quarantine for 8-10+ wks, costing a VERY pretty penny, and the gov't giving you a hard time.  Is this true of Argentina?  Do your pets need to be quarantined, and if yes, for how long, and how much does it cost?  I absolutely will not give up my cat, so it's an absolute must that she be able to come with me and with the least amt of stress for her.  Also, when you fly down to Buenos Aires, do most airlines allow you to travel with the pet in the cabin?  I've traveled with my cat(s) before in the US, and I refuse to put her in the cargo hold.  She must be with me under my seat so I can check on her and ensure she's comfortable and at least drinking some water, as well, she has some health problems, which could be exacerbated by air travel.  So, if the flight is too long where airlines won't allow pets in the cabin, that might be a deal breaker, because my cat is so very dear to me that I can't stand the thought of putting her in some cargo area of a large plane where it could be cold, dark, and the employees might abuse her, lose her, forget to feed her, etc.  I'm very anxious and concerned when it comes to my cat, and would never be able to live with myself if something happened to my cat on that plane simply because I wasn't present to oversee her care. So any and all info you can provide about moving to Argentina with a pet would be much appreciated!

Just sent you a very long message regarding cats to BA.
Hope it helps!

Thank you Lea Levy for the info!  I was thrilled to see that there is no quarantine, but was disappointed at the cost to bring a pet into Argentina!!!  I'll have to save up a whole yr just to be able to afford to bring my cat!  Thanks also for the links as those will help me a lot.  Is Senaso(?) the regulatory agency in Argentina that oversees animal import?

Lea could you please send me a copy of the message you sent to justinerene as i may have to deal with this soon as well

I agree, Lea - could you please post your response here on the forum for all to read instead of in private where only the question remains here!

Sure here it is - I just thought it might have been too much info to post but here goes.

The links below are official and useful and then the other info below that is specific to our case and the fact that we HAD to work with an agency to get our cat out of South Africa, but did coming into Argentina in person. If you fly with Delta or American or such that allows the animal to board with you on the plane, then I think things are easier, but we could not and thus she had to go as "assisted cargo" ............but really in reality, we had to pay some money, be organised, and have our documents straight, but it was nothing super stressful, no quarantine and we got her the same day...happy kitty!

http://www.senasa.gov.ar/contenido.php? … 39&io=8463
las-lunas.com.ar/pettravel/index.html
airportnewsezeiza.com/paginas/informacion/mascotas.html

QUOTATION: CAT TO BUENOS AIRES

Import into Argentina
USD
1 Import Permit in Argentina             USD 245
2 Cargo Clearance EZE airport           USD 620
3 Import taxes Argentina see below If not exempted USD 180
4 Ground transportation in Buenos Aires USD 150
USD 1,015 **
** This quotation does not include 21% VAT

1 Import Permit Argentina
All cats and dogs entering Argentina and originated in countries of Africa or Asia, must apply for an Import Permit in Argentina before the import takes place. We will need the client to issue some paperwork in country of origin and have it faxed to us, so that we can apply for the Permit. Please, read carefully the attached document regarding this issue.
Official translations to spanish of the certitificates received incuded in this quote if received in English

2 Cargo Clearance. Ezeiza airport.
Includes our charges, our customs agent's charges and SenasaŽs fees.
It does not include the Argentine CustomsŽ import tax for the animalŽs import.
(for this charge, please read point 3)
IMPORTANT: if clearance is outside normal working days and hours, we need to add a surcharge.

3 Import taxes Argentina
Argentina taxes the import of pet animals. Total cost is approximately 60% over CIF value.
There are legal expemtions for foreigners or for Argentinians that return after having lived abroad.
Please, read the attached file "Import Taxes" and inform the clientŽs status on this.

4 Ground transportation in Buenos Aires
Ground transportation in Buenos Aires from EZE to clientŽs residence.
Range 60 km from airport

We flew here 4 1/2 years ago with a Standard Poodle..from the US.
Continental would/could not let him fly in the cabin because of regulations stemming from Argentina regarding animals entering the country .. according to Continental, all animals must come in , in crates , in cargo.
Before we could leave the US, the dog had to have multiple vet visits, all shots brought to date, according to Argentine requirements as well as having to pass a check with the USDA ..
It was a tense and  expensive few months.. not to mention the fear we had of the dog living through that long a flight in a crate in cargo and living through the often inept and careless baggage handlers etc on the ground in both the US and in Argetentina.
We felt we were all very lucky he arrived safely/alive. Many dogs do not when they fly.
If I were to do this again, I would not bring an animal with me, I don't feel it worth the cost and the risk.
That said... the people here are animal lovers and so very sweet and kind to dogs. Our boy was very happy here and had his own fan club :)

Those prices quoted above are for IMPORTATION of animals,not for bringing in the family pet.  I brought my dog from the USA via United in 2004.  I am not a neurotic pet owner.  My dog was (she has since passed away) my family, but still a dog.  United did a great job of getting her here.  She didn't appear before I did, but came out on the baggage carousel tail wagging happily.

I have friends who come here yearly for several months who bring their dogs with them.  None of them ever complain about the airlines.  You must be prudent about your crate, when you last feed them, and above all DO NOT DRUG THEM.  Suerte.

Hola,
We brought our beloved cat here about three years ago with no problems and at no great expense. We arranged to fly Continental Airlines as they have a reputation for being pet friendly. Our cat is very large so we flew him in a med-sized dog crate. There is a wonderful web- site, I believe called Pet Travel, that has all the most up to date information on traveling with your pet. The biggest expense for us was the Vet bill from the US. Believe the most ideal way to travel for a pet is in the cabin with you. Have heard Delta Airlines & American not a good option due to negligence so would fly them only if your cat is in the cabin with you! If you are planning to live in Buenos Aires be advised your cat shouldn't be allowed to roam outside.  Many good hearted folks will assume he/she is lost & carry them home. Good luck & safe travels!