Tempted with Spain

Hi to all,

Hoping someone may be able to help me out here.

I have been considering moving from Singapore to Spain (to be closer to family & friends in the UK) and was initially thinking of doing this late 2011.
However as I work as a Financial Adviser I am concerned with the economy in Spain at the moment. All the reports I am reading out here are pretty negative about Europe in general, particularly Spain and I am hoping someone who actually lives and works there could shed some light on what its like there.

Because of my job I worry that setting up at the moment might be detrimental to my business, are people actually confident about the markets there ? Are new expats still coming into Spain, Are the big companies still hiring there ?

In terms of getting a job there I already have several open ended offers, however as traditionally in our profession we depend on commissions from writing new business I don't want to turn up there and find the "arse has fallen out of it" and then ending up living off savings for the next 2 years.

My other thought is to hold tight here in Asia for a while longer and see what emerges in Europe for the next 12 months or so.

Potentially looking to move to Madrid or Barcelona area, anybody have an idea of the cost of living in those areas, ie rent, schools, cars ?

Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris.
My name is Irene and I am from the South of Spain but 1 month ago I moved to Nha Trang, Vietnam.
In the centre of Madrid or Barcelona you can rent a house about 1.000/2.000 euros/per month. But you can share with people.
If you go to the South, for example, to Murcia, Alicante or Almería you can rent for 350/600 euros.
Every one or two months, depends of the company, you must pay the water and electricity bill. Internet bill, too.
When I was living in Spain I paid around 40 (water) 50 (light) 40 (internet) every month.
Public School and public healthcare are free (and very,very good) in all cities.
Buy a car... depends which one you want...
One second-hand could cost about 3.000/10.000. And the license is 1000/1200 (you have to pass two exams, un written and another driving) You will need one or two months taking classes in the driver school. If you are going to move to Madrid or Barcelona, most of people use the public transport: subway, bus, train... because the traffic jam is horrible if you go to work by car maybe you need two hours. The better option is living near your job and go walking.   
If you want to ask me something else, write me.
I don't know if I am helping you, I hope I do.
Regards and good luck!

Hi Chris and Irene :)

Welcome to Expat.com!

Regards
Armand

Dear Chris,
I do not live in Spain.  But in the UK and Norway.  Just a suggestion.  Why can't you take a leave of absence so that your able to perhaps take a few weeks off and scope out the work from the companies who are interested in hiring you. Keep this quiet, try to go for one month or more (doctors note) whatever..
This way it is a win win situation.  Firstly speak to a friend where you are (now) to see if they would perhaps help you in getting your things over to spain (when the job works out) this way you don't worry about having to travel back.  Alot of reasonable companies will pack everything.  Don't move unless you know what your monthly take home is. DON'T WORK on COMMISSION if you can help it.  I have done this so it works.
Great that you know the prices on housing, Electrics, water.. but if you don't have an income this means nothing and I would hate for you to find out the hard way whom your friends are in a time of need.  There won't be many.  The economy there is NOT good at all and no big businesses are heading there.  ONLY people with extra income for a second home.  Unless you decide to go into Construction you could maybe get some kind of work like that or being a bar-tender.  Chris there are things you need to think about.  Never jump ship till you see the pier.  I like you have been in your situation and I will only take positions that give me a secure income on a bi-weekly basis or monthly basis. If you work on commission take a job in a larger more dependable city.  I hope that have been of some help to you.  I am sorry if I scared you but I would rather be honest than for you to go all that way be stuck.  Write back if you like and I wish you good luck.

Hello, I'm Esteve, and I leaved Spain since two month ago. My family is there, my friends, I took the decision to leave Spain because there is no way to live well! the company is making everything to pay less tahn possible, if they have to cheat the clients and worker, they will do, no problem! the syndicat is existing but like if there're not (coruption prime). So, if you are needing helping, the goverment will not move for you, they delete all the social helping for the citizen, so you work and earn money, ok, you can survive, you don't? so good luck. Yes the school and medical care is for free (but not for so long) but nothing more is good there. If you have a lot of money and you're confident that Spain will be better in the near future, then yes! go there and invest money buying houses and appartement, right now is very cheap there, but if I leave Spain, is because I really think this country will be more poor than the most poor country in the world.
That's my thinking about Spain. If someone is thinking I'm wrong... is because is folowing the PSOE and are supporting Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero! (someone blinded by Zapatero's lies)