Second Hand Cars

Hello,

I will be moving to Ethiopia for a year or so from Jan/Feb.  I will be travelling around quite a lot & am looking into the cost of second hand cars.

I see there is a post on the forum offering a Nissan Terrano for EUR16000 – is this a fairly standard offer?  I had heard that cars in Ethiopia were incredibly expensive because of a 150% (?) government tax.

I am interested in the range of prices I should budget for – e.g. in what is about the cheapest I will be able to get a car for (not necessarily a particularly nice one!)?  I will not be based in Addis, although will pass through fairly regularly – is it possible to buy cars outside the capital?  Do second-hand car dealers exist or is it more practical to look at private ads/notices?

Finally, what is the current price of fuel?

Thanks a lot in advance to anyone who replies! :)

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

Cars are quite expensive here - there is a hefty duty on any imported car. The price posted for the Nissan is a typical price for a duty-free car. You can usually count on recouping that money when you sell it - cars do not lose value here like they do in the US and the turnover in foreigners means that there is a market for duty-free. Most Ethiopians, if they can afford a car, have a very beat-up Toyota Corolla, or a tiny, new, Ethiopian-made car. I am guessing you will not have duty-free, so you will have to either buy a duty-paid car or a car that is more than 10 years old (duty expires after 10 years).

There are some classifieds in the What's Up Addis guide (http://www.whatsupaddis.com/). The website is not particularly updated, but has some car ads. Car ads are posted at the big supermarkets around town.

If you are traveling around the country a lot, you will probably want a 4x4...the roads are terrible outside the city, and many places in the city too, but in the city you can manage with a Corolla. Going long distances outside the city in a sedan would not be a good idea.

Gas is about $3.50/gallon right now.

Good luck!
Jess

Hello

can you tell what small or mid size 4x4 cars (Toyota, Land Rover, jeep ect) are most popular in Etiopia?

Hello some popular 4x4s are the Toyota hilux, Suzuki Vitara 4 dr and 2 dr version, a Mitsubishi truck that looks almost the same as the Toyota Hilux. Also the Toyota Landcruiser is very popular.

Hello to everyone

I 'am worried about finding a car in Addis. I usually drive old, very old cars. These cars are usually from the sixties and the fifties. Is in Addis any opportunity to buy these cars in order to fix them for a regular drive ?
Is in Addis any good  car's garages ?

Thanks in adavance

I have a second one just got out on a auto repair shops. and it comes up with a auto repair manuals on it...

To every one it is right ,The cars in Ethiopia are very expensive what ever model is Not realy cars prise but the Government tax is very high recommend you to buy from abroad even the tax rate is high.Their is no other place to buy rather than Addis Ababa.
Thank you very much, Get one for me you will be blessed by God
Thank you very much