Bank account for non resident foreigner/ Etranger non résident

Hello all,

I will be a non resident foreigner in June for 3 months in Mauritius and feel it is easier to open an account. I have in the expactblog guide that I can open a "compte d'épargne/ saving account" with a ATM and debit card "retraie et paiement".

My bank does not seem to have any partnership w/ any local bank so I don't know which one to choose.

I am looking for a bank that allow me to have a ATM/ debit card, with minimum charge for account management and allow internet services.

Which one would you suggest to me.

Thanks a lot for you help.

Lucile

Hi  Lucile,

Welcome to Mauritius!! My advice would be to apply for a bank account with MCB. They are the largest bank here with over 175 ATMs around the Island. They have good service and should be able to offer you an account in both Rupees as well as a Dollar account (not sure about Euro and Pound a/c, could be a possibility) You should be able to get all the above facilities that you are looking for. (internet access takes a few days, as they send the password via post after you apply). Best would be if you could go over to their branch in Ebene. Here's the link to the same MCB Ebene

You will need your VISA, Work Permit, passport and residential address proof. But, since you are going to be here for only 3 months, the process maybe a little complicated.

You could consider HSBC as it is a Global bank. they dont provide a Debit card, but only an ATM card.
Though their network is limited, I think they have a tie up with MCB to provide ATM services.

All the best and Enjoy your Stay here!!
Cheers,
Musheer

Hi Lucile!

There is a thread on the francophone forum that may be helpful to you:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=81598 It is in French but i guess it won't be a problem for you to understand and participate :)

Regards
Armand

Thank you musheer and Armand for your advice!!