Need for Solar?

I have a particular Skill in the Area of Solar, mostly Stand Alone PV systems (Solar Electric, wiring etc) and a bit of knowledge in simple Solar Thermal (Hot Water ) and was thinking of using that knowledge to feed my family in Belize.  So I was just wondering if such a Biz would be viable to start up in you all's opinions?

I'm not sure if they are in need, but there are a number of new communities being built which boast sustainability as one of their most important goals.  Carmelita Gardens in Cayo District is one that says most buildings will be off the electrical grid.  Look them up.  Their material also sites a few terms that may help myou look into other new communities.  Good luck!

Toni and John

You'd more than likely be targeting builders of developments and/or the hotel industry.  Possibly homeowners of high end homes as well.  The average Belizean home does not pay a lot for water or electricity, unless you like to use your a/c and/or American style washer & dryer a lot, so that could be a target market for you.

I don't know enough about the specifics of your field to answer better, but off the top of my head, you'd have to do a lot of education and face-to-face meeetings to really get people to understand what you offer and what cost savings they'd experience because that's what they'll be looking at - their bottom line. Most Belizeans are not "green."  But large hotels, houses etc. would like to save money. 

Before you sink a lot of money into this type of venture, I'd recommend speaking to your target market and feeling them out first.  I hope this is a little bit helpful.

Sharon

The Belizian Gov. does not afford solar / wind power generation subsidies as the US. The over all costs, ie. equipment, installation, & maintenance would allow for only the most remote sites for consideration en lieu the of capital cost versus payback. Even in the US these "green energy" technolgies are a tax drain. Solar water heating is common.

I guess every one is thinking Grid tied or stand alone full bore power everything sort of systems, oh and Green.  I have been living off grid here for over 20 years, spent about $5000 dollars and have more of a survival/independence sort of out look then a Greenie/ Save the World sort of view.
  But yes my market would be more off grid homesteads looking for reliable electrical power!  Costs can be controlled through thought and planning.