Live music in MU

hello, i am just wondering, what is the live music/bar scene like in MU? were there a lot of musicians playing music in bars and making half decent money?

What Kind of Music they have there?

they are supposed to have an ecclectic mix of cultural styles of music. but i would be happy with anything just not a  repaeat of my former ex-pat life in libya.

Is there any live music in Mauritius? anywhere?

There is live music every Friday in Meropolis Bar and Restuarant in Ebane. I have been there once. Good Music and good crowd.

There are often live concerts by prolific Mauritian bands/artists across the island, with music genres varying between reggae, afro-beat, zouk, dancehall and sega among others.

You can check out these sites for more information and notice about future events:-
OSB Crew
Blakkayo Facebook Page
Solda Kaz Bad
Bruno Raya's Facebook

Kind Regards,
Nadeem

Thanks for the info re: live bands :)

NadsMeister wrote:

There are often live concerts by prolific Mauritian bands/artists across the island, with music genres varying between reggae, afro-beat, zouk, dancehall and sega among others.

You can check out these sites for more information and notice about future events:-
OSB Crew
Blakkayo Facebook Page
Solda Kaz Bad
Bruno Raya's Facebook

Kind Regards,
Nadeem

Thanks a bunch NadsMeister! This was exactly what I was looking for.

You're welcome, Douglas.
The pleasure is wholly mine. And allow me to keep you inform of other events-related pages I shall come across in the near future. I shall also prescribe, with your permission, other activities around the island that may potentially interest you and other people as well.

Please visit this thread (Musical culture of Mauritius) on this very website and check out the links for the discovery of more stuff on the local music.

And you'll be able to legally download three splendiferous songs on the homepage of the Mauritunes.com,the three songs being constantly shuffled each week, free of charge.

Hey guys!

You missed the Sakifo Festival last Friday/ Saturday!
Great atmosphere and good discoveries (world music mainly)
For live music in general you can check out events organised by IFM (Institut Français de Maurice). Concerts are often held at François Miterrand, Quatre Bornes (jazz, blues, world music).

Another good place for regular live music is "Le Sapin" at Camp Levieux if you are into local stuff other than sega, dancehall etc.. The genres are mostly indie rock, reggae or folk!

Cheers!
Armand

Here is an excellent website to keep you informed of forthcoming events:-
--> IslandInfo.mu -> forthcoming events

And Bonnto Klip's blip.tv account will greatly help you in the course of discovering the local music scene; it provides full videos with an admirable video quality.

And most important, I've recently seen on TV that there will be an splendiferous concert on the 21st June 2011 at the Municipalité de Quatre Bornes in the occasion of the "Fête de la Musique" featuring the most prolific of the local artists performing live with a great sound system. Currently not yet aware of the time of performances; I shall let you know when I'll be informed.

This is the website for MQB (Municipality of Quatre Bornes) if you need to check the time frame.

Municipality of Quatre Bornes

sorry, I forgot to post the add!

Thank you, Alisa; so, the concert which will be held in Quatre Bornes for the national occassion of "Fête de la Musique" will start at 06:00 PM at the Town Hall (l'Hôtel de Ville) on the 21.06.11 (next tuesday).

Open to the whole public. Everyone is invited.

thanks to all for posting.

A quick question, what is your impressions as to what most bars are like in popuated areas in MU?

On busy nights, do you usually find that there are more bars with live music & musicians or are there usually more bars with DJ's playing in the evenings?

In my opinion there's a lot of DJ stuff playing in bars and definitely not enough live music.

"Le Sapin" is reopening tomorrow by the way. There will be a small concert with local groups Etaé and People of The Sun.

Cheers
Armand

Et voici un lien pour le groupe People Of The Sun pour que vous habituer à leur musique: Reverbnation Profile

NadsMeister

you're on the English forum - you might want to translate that. :P

My apology, Alisa; did not realize this little mistake of mine.

Well, here is a link fully devoted to the musical discovery of the band People Of The Sun:-
--> Reverbnation Page

alisa_ram wrote:

NadsMeister

you're on the English forum - you might to translate that. :P

:one:lol:

You do have rock bands as well performing in pubs/private concerts. Some of them are cover bands: Metropolis (they  play mainly in the north), Hyphen; while others have their own original songs: Crossbreed Supersoul, Skeptikal, Feedback, HumaNoID, and all of them do have their own facebook page.

I'd recommend Metropolis and Le Sapin as Armand stated.The place is nice and cozy and awesome if you're into jazz or local music.
There's also the Kenzi bar at flic en flac : live bands mostly on friday n saturday nights.

Has any one checked out Amnezia in Ebane?

Hi Douglas,

Gio's restaurant in Black River has live music every Friday night from about 8pm.

terence wrote:

Heard about this one.Whereabout in Ebene?

Hi all,

I've played at Amnezia (used to be Kiops) a couple of times.  The room has crap acoustics, but can be a nice croud.  Just great to have a place to play live music.  Unless you are a tourist at a hotel it's hard to get live music here.  Another place that does welcome drop ins with great musicians is the Tamarin Hotel. 

Cheers.

What about Cafe Banana in Grand Baie and at the back of the bar "Zanzibar" there used to be live music there, isn't it as such anymore ?

Yep, Le Sapin is nice.

alisa_ram wrote:
terence wrote:

Next to Ebène Way! Formerly Kitsch/Kheops

Armand wrote:
alisa_ram wrote:
terence wrote:

Next to Ebène Way! Formerly Kitsch/Kheops

Thanks Armand! I have a friend who used to play there regularly.

I suggest that we have the next expat meet in one of the place where there is live music either on a Friday night or Saturday night.

Cheers!!!
Terence

As aussiej mentioned, Gio's Restaurant in Tamarin has live music Friday nights with various local musicians (although this week it will be on Saturday night due to a private function there on Friday night)...
BUT...there will be live music in a garden setting this Friday night at Santosha Beach House, near the Tamarin Hotel.  The line-up includes: Mistic Man, 3DOM, Maroom Brothers, Didi from Kiss the Fish, and Jagabags.
Music will start from around 8pm!

oh and there's an event on the 19th November at Le Sapin, Camp Levieux Rose Hill. A mini rock gig with bands: Escaped, Skeptikal and Musical Democracy

- Escaped is a punk rock act playing covers and original songs
- Skeptikal will play its set of original songs
- Musical Democracy is a cover band that will play popular pop/rock

Concert duration will be around 2 hours
More info on Skeptikal's own blog:
skeptikalband.blogspot.com/

@ Jiepay: You should post in classifieds under Community> Events

Thanks
Armand

sorry Armand and thanks i'll post it over there :)

Was at keg & marlin last night - by Coudan waterfront port louis. Live band good stuff.

damn great to see that this thread is active. was worried that there was no real scene in MU.

who's going for skeptikal's year-end concert tmwr fri 2 dec?

Old thread I know but will definitely check out these recommended places.

Hi,can you assist me in anyway as i would like to gig for 8 weeks in Mauritius,im based in Portugal,Algarve,i am a duo,male/female,our genere is Rock,pop,our fb is ,Tillerman Live or Nicolelossin

Our facebook is Tillerman LIve or nicolelossin