Bringing dog to Cairo

Hi there. We have a nice Golden Retriever and would like to bring him to Cairo with us. Do you know if any documents we have to make except medical for the flight. Does he have to go to quarantine in Cairo.
Thank you

i guess medical reports are enough and u can microship him as extra only.

hi,there. no you will not have to put your dog in quarantine in egypt, all that is required is that your dog has had all its jabs up to date, but you might have to book in advance to secure a place for the dog and also make sure that you can find a dog box big enough for it to turn round in as this is a required also food and water containers to be placed in side attached to the box, is also required,i hope that this is useful to you.
also your dog will have to go in to quarantine when you leave Egypt in the uk it is 6mths at a cost of about 3 and a half thousand pounds in English (yes thats what i paid for my small pomaranian) also you should consider the heat and where you will be keeping your dog in egypt, there is not so many green spaces to walk it, it can be difficult when you take a pet to egypt depending where you are living, finding a good vet, is another worry. But after saying all that i will be taking back my small dog again when i move back to egypt in august lol. (good luck)

well Chocolata thnx for sharing this usefull info. its really new for me :) thnx again

chocolata
dont worry about finding a vet i know a really good one who trained in germany ,i know quite a few vets there and he is definatley the best.
                  cherie

flowergirl wrote:

chocolata
dont worry about finding a vet i know a really good one who trained in germany ,i know quite a few vets there and he is definatley the best.
                  cherie

hi everyone,
i'm looking long term at living in egypt - probably luxor and would appreciate your advice on the quality of life for dogs? i'm firstly going to live in doha, qatar but would ultimately want to settle in egypt.
here's my only concern (as i think i can adapt to any social/pilitical/religious adjustment) i have a 4 yr old male rhodesian ridgeback who weighs 95 lbs and is all muscle. he's an african breed that is considered a hunting sight hound.
my concerns are: finding houseing that would accept a dog of this size (he's clean like a cat and never barks); social acceptance of a dog this size; his health and safety; services available to keep his life good (ie: vet, kennel for boarding him etc).
i hope i don't seem small minded for asking these questions. my egyptian friends tell me people bring their dogs to egypt all the time ;) and that i'm being too protective :)
appreciate any of your thoughts.
i'll upload a pic of him to my profile.
be well,
k

Hey there!

I am bringing my dog as well to Cairo next month. As far as I know, the airline provides the information about the documents needed as well as the cageŽs size (not too complicated). No quarantine in Cairo.

Flowergirl, this information about the vet would be very usefull to me and my dog in the future.

Salaam:)

I am amazed by how much useful information, thanks guys
By the way: i have a Female GSD.
Thanks
Fekry

Hi guys, especially Nadezda and Aligirl.
I'm going to live in Cairo too and would like to bring my god (weimaraner). Could you please tell me if people accept your dogs? Is it possible to find place with grass for them?
I'll be working in Dokki (near Zamalek)...is it possible to live there with a dog?
Thanks a lot for your answers!

Most places accept dogs here for rental units.  I have two dogs. A Chihuahua and a Boerboel (200lb 90kg) dog. I have only found 2 places that said no dogs. As of bringing the dogs here microchips at the moment are not required due to the fact the are very few reader machines here. The dog needs to be up to date with vaccines (but be prepared some vaccines are not found in Egypt). I've traveled with my dogs in and out of the country several times and no one has ever looked at my papers (but do get them just in case). Finding vets here are fairly easy but take them with a grain of salt, they often try to get you to do unnecessary procedures to get extra money from them. I live in Cairo and choose to use ESAF (they have a Web page on Facebook) their head doctors are like UN travelers around the world teaching and supervising the local vets. I've been very happy with them but hated the other vets I have used.

Sad news,  be very careful if you walk the dogs on the streets not in a compound. The Egyptian government regularly puts out poison to kill the stray animals and you don't want your loved one eating any of it.

My dogs have had a fine life in Egypt. More pet stores are opening up with imported food. A lot of people are scared of dogs so be prepared for the over exaggerated reaction no mate how big or small your dog is.  Enjoy egypt this is a wonderful country.

"all that is required is that your dog has had all its jabs up to date," = totally incorrect info - that will put your animal at risk!!

the animals require a pet passport to travel and shots for rabies etc, and blood tests to be done prior to travel.
the animals also need to be micro chipped.
All of this takes around 3 months to arrange (there is waiting times after the shots, etc.

Google it in your home country - the info is out there.

As for travelling to the UK - I travelled back from the UAE with 2 cats around 10 years ago - and yes the animals did need 6 months quarantine - but all this has changed now.
But please be careful - NEVER attempt to travel without the correct documents - if the documents are found to be incorrect / no micro chip - they will impound the animal and there is every likelihood it will be euthanased