HIV Medications

I have HIV and loved Cuenca.   My fear is getting my HIV meds down there.  They are so costly and without my insurances, I wouldn't be able to exist.  Scary.  Anyone have some light on this? I would be so grateful
Mail order doesn't seem to work down there, too much custom restrictions I guess.  Mail at all seems to be a problem
Thank you
Scotty of Oregon

You can begin your search online at Fybeca.com which is one of the biggest pharmacy chains in Ecuador.

You'll need to use the Spanish name of the generic medication. For brand name meds, you can try searching for it by name. But be aware brand names can change from country to country.

Prices might be different if you are covered by Ecuador's national health insurance.

Thank you for your help with this I will contact them sadly though this medication is up to $4000 a month here in the States this is why I have insurance here in the USA.  It's just two meds that are keeping me alive.  Damn things.  Again Thank you

ScottD wrote:

Thank you for your help with this I will contact them sadly though this medication is up to $4000 a month here in the States this is why I have insurance here in the USA.  It's just two meds that are keeping me alive.  Damn things.  Again Thank you

I will refrain on a rant about drug companies in the US right now. Just because its $4000 a month doesn't mean it will be in other countries. The US has the highest drug prices in the world. In general because we are the ones paying for most R & D of new drugs. It takes hundreds of millions to get a drug to market through the regulatory process.

While it in no way compares to what your taking, I take a low dose blood pressure medicine. In the US with insurance I paid about $20 a month. Without insurance it was about $100 a month. In Colombia its about the equivalent of $2 and you can buy it over the counter.

While your medicine probably isn't anywhere that cheap its definitely worth investigating as you may be surprised at the cost. Don't get your hopes up, but dont give up until you investigate. I hate to think people are tied to the US just for medication they need to live, but I know in many cases its true. People shouldn't have to sacrifice their quality of life and be forced to live in the US for medication the need.

While it may not be Ecuador, I know under president Bush the US supplied cheap HIV drugs to Africa to stem the epidemic their. You may want to investigate other countries around the world and see if you can find a country that the US has subsidized drugs on a humanitarian basis. In Africa under that program the drugs were free or practically free. Weather that has been implemented to other continents or not I dont know.