Renewing MX FMM from Guatemala by bus any advice?

Planning to re-enter Mexico by bus from Guatemala. I've heard lots of different things that worry me such as I'll have to pay cash that I don't have to get another FMM and that my passport will be scrutinized and because I've spent most of the last two years in Mexico on a series of FMM's that they may only give me 7 days. Is it true that there's a crackdown on FMM retirees? Any anecdotes or advice appreciated!

You should have nothing to worry about. Just fill out the application and pay your $30 dollars or whatever it is  and they will give you a new FMM. It will be good for 6 months. The 7 day one is if you don't pay anything.

When was the last time you did a visa run? The system has changed I've heard. Lots of people being asked if they're living in Mexico after the aduanas read their travel background on the computers using  the new system that gives them further insight into the travel histories of the travelers arriving. The last time I arrived in Mexico City last April, an inspector asked me, "how many months do you want this time?" with a frustration in his tone. If you enter through Mexico City, you definitely can't pass cash to anyone. I believe the tourist visa angle is up.

Oldladyman wrote:

When was the last time you did a visa run? The system has changed I've heard. Lots of people being asked if they're living in Mexico after the aduanas read their travel background on the computers using  the new system that gives them further insight into the travel histories of the travelers arriving. The last time I arrived in Mexico City last April, an inspector asked me, "how many months do you want this time?" with a frustration in his tone. If you enter through Mexico City, you definitely can't pass cash to anyone. I believe the tourist visa angle is up.

Well I spoke with my neighbor about it,and she said you should have no problem because the visa is good for 6 months and that's the law. It does not matter how often you come.
Oh also my neighbor? She's the one that gives the 6 months visas to the tourists.

I'm hearing that they have a new computer system that provides more information on travelers entering Mexico. To be honest, I noticed the last time I entered Mexico that the agent scrutinized my passsport and asked me, "How much time do you want now?" with an impatient sounding tone. In one forum someone said he was given seven days because the customs agent told him it was obvious he was living in Mexico and that was illegal. Another person told me he was denied entrance for the first time after many years of living on a tourist visa. The word among those doing back to back tourist trips to Mexico instead of filing for residency is that there's a crack down. It seems to me that the FMM thing has gotten too risky to consider an easy way to live in Mexico. At any rate, thanks for sharing info with me!