Dating and finding love as an expat in the USA

Hello,

With cultural barriers and different dating norms, finding love as an expat abroad can be exciting and challenging at the same time.

Is it easy to meet other fellow single people in the USA?

How do you go about meeting people (through friends, online dating, apps, meetup groups)?

How safe is it to date in the USA?

How do you deal with cultural differences when dating?

What are certain dating etiquettes and rules when dating in the USA?

How do you deal with getting into a serious relationship if you know you might be leaving the USA?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Dating US citizens as a national of another country is pointless if you ask me. US immigration laws are extremely tough. IIRC US citizen and foreign spouse need to prove to the immigration officer their marriage, joint financial household and having lived together for at least 5 years in country of foreign national as well as proof of their relationship from social circle in country of residence of foreign national for the latter to be even considered eligible to get a GC. It's a long shot with tons of paperwork involved and personally I wouldn't be interested in opening that can of worms because I simply don't see it happen. Especially not under the current Administration. I would only start dating US citizens/GC holders once I'd have my own GC and were properly settled in. All other options are futile. YMMV. Your best bet for entering the US in the absence of relatives who might sponsor you is through a first preference category job offer.

AncientViking wrote:

Dating US citizens as a national of another country is pointless if you ask me. US immigration laws are extremely tough. IIRC US citizen and foreign spouse need to prove to the immigration officer their marriage, joint financial household and having lived together for at least 5 years in country of foreign national as well as proof of their relationship from social circle in country of residence of foreign national for the latter to be even considered eligible to get a GC. It's a long shot with tons of paperwork involved and personally I wouldn't be interested in opening that can of worms because I simply don't see it happen. Especially not under the current Administration. I would only start dating US citizens/GC holders once I'd have my own GC and were properly settled in. All other options are futile. YMMV. Your best bet for entering the US in the absence of relatives who might sponsor you is through a first preference category job offer.

USCIS.gov goes into the real information.