Civil engineering job positions in Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Shanghai

Hello, fellow expats!

I'm glad to be here and the fact that I've found such a nice web resource.

Currently, I've been staying in Shenzhen city for nearly 6 months. So far, it is the first place where I'm living as an expat. Don't have a clue of some (maybe) well-known things. In short, my question is pretty simple and straight-forward: where and how I can find a work, related to civil engineering. As a matter of fact, I'm not seeking for myself, but for my girlfriend who is now in the Philippines.

I totally understand that only American or European companies can hire professionals in this industry, given that they're located in China. Needless to say, she's got an experience as a civil engineer (project engineer) in the biggest telecommunication company over there in the Philippines.

Should we simply seek for jobs in Linkedin? Or make an effort to reach out to people who are already working in this field?

Thanks for your time!

When I first moved to China, I was a senior engineer with over thirty years experience in product, project, and design engineering. However, I was unable to find work for years. This was true, even though I was surrounded by factories.

Eventually, I was able to obtain work, but I had to do other things first to put food on the table.

If you or your GF intends on moving to China, you all had first look long and hard at how well you can speak and read Chinese. If you cannot, then start studying it.  Any civil engineering position would involve dealing with locals. Most of whom speak a local dialog.

Moving to China was the best thing that I ever did, but it was not easy. (You can read my blog post HEREfor some background information.) I had to throw away many habits and belief structures that I had accumulated over the years. We have a saying here in China. "Most expats either adapt or leave."

You either move to China and assimilate or you don't. If you cannot assimilate, and that often means taking other kinds of work, and adapting to other kinds of lifestyle arrangements.

I sincerely wish both of you the best of luck and wishes.