Travelling to Amsterdam on Student Exchange :)

Hi there everyone! :)

I have joined this site in the hopes that I would be able to find more information about studying in the Netherlands. I will be participating in a student exchange to Amsterdam for six months. Although it is exciting, it's also a bit scary!

If you have any tips on how I can prepare myself (mentally, physically, or otherwise) I would really appreciate it.

By the way, can anyone tell me if it is possible to have a part-time job on a student visa?

Tanya

Hi Tanya and welcome,

I see your location is Stellenbosch, a beautiful place with some terrific wine, I spent a few days there when travelling through Africa.
When you get here just relax and go with the flow, Amsterdam is a very relaxed city and very friendly. It can be a little overwhelming when you first arrive, but keep an open mind and just enjoy it is the best advice I can give you. And don't be scared, the Dutch are some of the friendliest people you will meet and will assist you anyway they can.
Regards work I'm not entirely sure what you are allowed to do as a student, but I can provide a few helpfull links if you PM me.

Cheers

Bill :cool:

Hey Tanya,
I am right now also an international student in holland (but only from germany).
In my school there are many people from outside europe, which work in restaurants or hotels. I think in amsterdam it will be really easy for you to find a job, since there are many opportunities and everybody can speak english.
Because of the people you really dont need to worry, they are really open and friendly. Just a little more direct than most other nations :)
I also heard that finding a room is very hard in amsterdam, so I would start looking soon.
Hope I could help a bit.
Enjoy your stay in Amsterdam...its an amazing city!
greetz,
anna-lena

Hi Tanya! How are you doing? You must be very excited about this trip :)
IŽm also on an exchange here in the netherelands. I`m from Argentina and I`m 22. I`m now living in Hilversum and i got here last week. So if you ever need something or chat if you are feeling like wanting to we can meet sometime ;)Hilversum is pretty close to Amsterdam.

About the part job with your student visa I think that really depends on your country of origin and the laws you have etc... you should ask in the embassy of your country before coming here. They will inform you on this better.

Hope you have a nice experience here and don't hesitate if ever need some help. I`m also an expat and I also feel like I would like to meet more people and make new friends:)

Hi,

I'm a dutch student who is living in Amsterdam. I'm going to study in Vietnam next year, that's why I saw this website.
I was just curious if there are a lot of foreign students in Amsterdam right now. (It seems there are :))

If you like to know something about Amsterdam or if you need help with something you can always contact me.

Regards,

Rosanne

Hi,

I too am coming to the University of Amsterdam on exchange. I was wondering if anyone on here knows how University in Amsterdam compares to that in Australia. And if anyone suggests getting housing with DUWO or De Key for around 2500-2800 euros for the semester? Or am I better off trying to find my own apartment?