Health insurance for VN and Hanoi Private hospitals

Hi there,

I am planning to move to Hanoi, flying this week.

I currently live in Bangkok but am from the UK.

I have had some health issues in the past in the UK and since moving to Hanoi / Vietnam I would like to know:

1. What is the best health insurance for private treatment in VN?

2. Should I buy this before I travel?

3. What about travel insurance itself? Rather than health. I presume I just get this in Bangkok.

4. I heard the French private hospital in Hanoi is good. Any other recommendations for Hanoi? Or VN? I guess HCMC or Hanoi but I'll be in Hanoi for the start.

Many thanks in advance for anyone to assist me.

Regards,

Paul

Hi Paul,

WELCOME TO HANOI :)

1. You can consider Vinmec health insurance too.

One of advantage of Vinmec is they have in several provinces of Vietnam, so if you dont want to stay in Hanoi and move to another province, you still can use it.

https://vinmec.com/timescity/index.php ....sorry they dont have in English I think :(

Vin group bring high quality services and I not yet see any negative comments from their customers. You can enjoy good inter-related services (hospital, apartment, supermarket, etc in one place ... )

2. You can buy it when you arrive here.

3. If you stay in Hanoi short time (less than one month) you can buy travel insurance, but if you intend to find the chance to relocate in Vietnam, health insurance maybe better. (travel time from Hanoi-BKK only 2 hours, not really need travel insurance ...).

LittleHanoi.

Many thanks and sorry for the late reply.

I arrived last Thursday so been looking for apartments.

I will go and visit the hospital. However, that seems like a hospital itself? Not an insurance company?

Also - is that the hospital you recommend in Hanoi?

Paul

I use BUPA and couldn't really recommend anything else though I know there are a few companies doing health insurance in Vietnam. Just make sure it covers you to be flown outside of VN for treatment if it's needed, including repatriation.

ScriptShack wrote:

I use BUPA and couldn't really recommend anything else though I know there are a few companies doing health insurance in Vietnam. Just make sure it covers you to be flown outside of VN for treatment if it's needed, including repatriation.

Can you please briefly explain why you recommend Bupa and roughly say something about the annual premium ($1000, 2000, 5000, etc.).

Thank you in advance.

BUPA - because it covered all my medical expenses and the better hospitals have an agreement with BUPA that means (unlike some other insurers) you do not have to pay anything out of your own pocket and then wait forever and a day to be reimbursed. I also came within a hairs breadth of having to be flown to BKK for plastic surgery after an infection ate a hole in my foot. It was reassuring to know my policy would cover all those expenses including the flights!
I hadn't needed to see a Doctor for over 12 years until I moved to Hanoi them managed to contract pleurisy, pneumonia twice...  Also, cuts and stuff never heal properly due to the high humidity so infection is a real risk. 
Good medical care is expensive!

Price I cannot help you with because I was covered by my wifes employer.