Looking to move from England to Limousine

We are looking to move to an area which both scenic and quiet but also has a fair amount of ex pats.  We currently live in the countryside in the UK and our silence is shattered by scrambling motorcycles and peoples complete disregard for other people's peace and quiet, along with fly tippers who feel its ok to leave their rubbish for others to clear.  We have always had a pull to move to France but after making the mistake moving into the countryside in the UK I am hoping someone living in Limousine can tell us more about the lifestyle and culture in this area.  We are a couple in our 50's with no kids and love nothing more than entertaining new friends and working in our garden as we are quite green fingered.  Our house is currently on the market but no interest so far which may be Brexit, time of the year, etc etc but at least buys us some time to make sure we make the right move.  Any tips and tales would be appreciated.

Hello

I was living right to the border of Limousin. I have just moved to a large gite, in dordogne, big tourist area of France, there are many british living here. I am in Le Bugue near Sarlat. Limousin is very rainy in the winter, so if you want nicer weather, you should look for something in the perigord noir which is part of dordogne.  I am a US/FRENCH citizen.  My number is ***
my email adresse is ***
elisabeth

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : Please post in the housing section + please do not post your personal contact details for your own security. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

If I had to suggest something then it would be not to live in an area with a high percentage of expats. Obviously if that is what you want then so be it but to enjoy the full flavour of France, and the French, I would suggest an area without a density of ex pats.

The area I live in (Pays Basque) has relatively few, in fact in 20 years I still have to meet any Brits! If you mix with expats you won't integrate completely, you will rely on other ex pats for almost anything which means language and customs won't be developed.

That may be what you want and if so then of course you will be happy. If you want to integrate properly then avoid  ex pats like the plague!!!

I do know other expats in other regions and I get on with them very well. But it is a 'distance' thing not in the same village or area, big difference. I have found that as nice as people are they have trouble speaking French and integrating properly because of the reliance of British friends for all their needs.

Each to his own of course and I wish you luck wherever you end up!

Elizabeth , how are the winters in perigord noir , wet , cold , windy ?? or dry and sunny cold ?

I have only spent one winter, it was not very cold, and no snow.
I am moving to Correze which is even more beautiful than dordogne, it touches dordogne. Also people in Correze are much nicer !