Istanbul for a month - any suggestions?

Hello all,
I'm trying to figure out a plan (on a budget) for a month stay (December-January) in Istanbul. I've already visited the city in winter and loved the whole feeling of it. I'd like to hear especially from females who've already visited on their own: where they stayed, where they went, and what they did because I would like to do something practical, not just play the tourist.
By "practical" I mean volunteering, meet-ups, intensive Turkish courses, training in some interesting fields, attending conferences/expos/fairs, etc.
I'm keeping an eye on "workaway.info" and "10times.com". Any other suggestions to get the best of my stay?

http://tuyap.com.tr/istanbul for fairs

I dont know about workaway yet you should be careful about couchsurfing in Turkey. As a woman you should be careful about those who offer a room in their house. It's not the same as europe or us. Just a friendly warning

But you can stay with a house with girl of course.

there are lots of local meetups you can find on the internet. but 1 month is so short to do all of these.

infoaboutTurkey wrote:

I dont know about workaway yet you should be careful about couchsurfing in Turkey. As a woman you should be careful about those who offer a room in their house. It's not the same as europe or us. Just a friendly warning

there are lots of local meetups you can find on the internet. but 1 month is so short to do all of these.

Thanks a lot for the link. I'll have a look and see what I can find there.
Yes, I'm skeptic about couchsurfing, and even about airbnb offers to be honest! I never tried those. I just tried staying in a hostel, but not in Turkey, and I liked it (I went with a group of friends though!)

As for meetups, most of what I could find up to know are meetings for language practice, nothing more. I guess outdoor activity meetups aren't usually scheduled this soon because I still can't find enough information about December in that concern!

Oh, and concerning "workaway", there are opportunities where you can work/volunteer but not necessarily stay in the place they offer. As an example, I found an interesting ad about a school where one can just help with teaching or other tasks and stay elsewhere. One is just requested to show up like 3 times a week.  That's for a humanitarian cause obviously.

Hi

What dates are you looking at coming?

ruhaya wrote:

Hi

What dates are you looking at coming?

Hi
12/21- 01/17

there is a hostel  called galatawesthostel or sth like that

they ask you to work voluntarily for half day then you can stay there free i believe

infoaboutTurkey wrote:

Hi,
is its dangerous if a man offer to lady for stay at their house?

Yes unfortunately it's not a friendly invitation. They are expecting to spend the night together today or tomorrow ;)

infoaboutTurkey wrote:

there is a hostel  called galatawesthostel or sth like that

they ask you to work voluntarily for half day then you can stay there free i believe

I wonder what kind of work it is...  :/

İ met with a guy from us and a girl from morocco that work there. One of them was at reception the other wan was cleaning

Ok, I see

you are welcome?

infoaboutTurkey wrote:

you are welcome?

Oh, my apologies, "infoaboutTurkey" !  :D
Your answer to hadi88 distracted me and I forgot to thank you!  :huh:
Çok teşekkür ederim (:

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : No offer will be allowed on the forum. Please refer to the housing section, Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Naniska wrote:
infoaboutTurkey wrote:

you are welcome?

Çok teşekkür ederim (:

hi, i think if i ask any question which i think relate to me its open forum if you forget i apologize to you and with him ,thank you so much dear.

hadi88 wrote:
Naniska wrote:
infoaboutTurkey wrote:

you are welcome?

Çok teşekkür ederim (:

hi, i think if i ask any question which i think relate to me its open forum if you forget i apologize to you and with him ,thank you so much dear.

You got me wrong, dear!
I meant that he gave you a scary answer ;)