Withdrawal limit per day/month/year from Citibank in Vietnam

Saipan time perhaps?

By the way Jim;  aren't you one of the scolds who insists that we stay rigidly on topic?  Now you are leading us into a discussion of the structure of the forum.

Also if you have read more than just a few of her posts, it should be clear that Ciambella is a woman.

I made one post to the Viet girl thread that said "I caught a cold from a Viet girl once".

I am far, far from a topic Nazi.

I just wondered why the time stamp of Ciambella's post was so far from SGN time....

I didn't want to start a new thread to find out why it was 7 hours off what I expected.

And now I know Ciambella is a female.

Anything else I'm doing wrong?

You have an open mind.

That is all that is needed here

When I said Saipan, I was counting the wrong way.   :huh: 

The owners and moderators of this forum seem to be in Mauritius.  The time stamp probably indicates the location of their servers.   Vietnam is Indochina Time (ICT) UTC+7 while Mauritius Time (MUT) is UTC+4.   However, this would seem to explain a difference of three hours not five as you suggest with a difference between 1400 and 1900. 

My apologies for identifying you as an off-topic scold.  Must have mixed you up with someone else.   :sosad:

Không sao hết.

I've been here less than a month and I'm still getting my feet wet.

I shouldn't have interrupted Ciambella's diplomatic efforts.

I hope to fit in better when I arrive SGN in December.

That will be my 8th visit and hopefully permanent relocation.

Diazo wrote:

@ Andy
  Did not mean to offend you Andy. But I asked the question what "real interest" Gobot was speaking of. You came onboard and explained that it was getting 7-8% interest. I obviously did a poor job of trying to explain that the stated yield matters little. That it is the true yield that matters. Thus I pointed out the inflation rate in Venezuela and Sudan as just two high inflation rater countries at the moment. And if you looked at the rate you could get on a time deposit pin those countries it too would be about a 1-2 % true yield. And all returns are going to be that way. Your not going too do much better than the US rate because the dollar is the currency of international settlements so it is king.
  I pointed out the countries I did to show you that if 7-*% is your understanding of "real interest" you could get even better in terms of numbers in, say Venezuela or Sudan.
  But you are doing much better than many friends I have. At least you save something and put it in a timed deposit. If you understand yield curves and how to know the "tops" then you can do okay. The example you give of 7-8 % was some time ago. And yes, on those CD's you will make money in todays climate. But todays stated yield and the true yield is still only about 1.5%. So very hard to keep up with inflation.
  But I never intended to offend you. Very few understand the financial markets well. That surely does not make them totally ignorant people. And when I said you lacked the knowledge it was meant to point out that you did not draw the connection to Venezuela etc. and "real interest". But you always offer great inputs.
  There are a boatload of people here that are in your corner when it comes to "real interest" here. I know many who have transferred their retirement account money here to take advantage of it. They just do not understand. And for that I guess we peg them as ignorant.
  I hope all read the link you provided as it also had some great Real estate stories on how great the investment climate was here for all those who are gobbling up the great RE buys.

"Up to 8% interest a year with a term deposit account at a Vietnamese bank."
I only posted a short comment and didn't want to start an eternal discussion.

If the ordinary Vietnamese (or me) can pick up 70 million per 1 billion dong from his term deposit account at the bank once a year, that's 7% interest for these people. Whether you now deduct inflation is not so relevant for these people (or for me).
Especially if you buy in the street markets, the inflation is probably secondary compared to the fluctuating seasonal market prices.

For me it is 7% interest, or if I calculate the annual inflation of 4% it is still 3% real interest.

Maybe you are not quite sure how the term deposit accounts work in Vietnam.
You simply pay money to a term deposit account. Then you go every 3 months and get 5% interest paid (5% of the annual interest / 4), or you go every 6 months and get 6% interest paid (6% of the annual interest / 2), etc.. After you receive the interest, the monthly counter starts over again.
There are no complicated yield calculations like with government bonds or other investments.

In my home country the fees are higher than the interest and my money gets less and less (after the next financial crash is over within the next 24 months, I will also be reinvested in stocks).
But here in Vietnam I get 7% interest or still 3% real interest, which I get paid every year and can buy some of.

Jim-Minh wrote:

Ciambella made his post at 14:23:06 board time but I suspect it was 19:00 Saigon time.

Where is the board headquarters?

ping expat.com
https://ipinfo.io/87.98.165.158
Roubaix France, 5 timezones earlier than Vietnam

Jim-Minh wrote:

Ciambella made his post at 14:23:06 board time but I suspect it was 19:00 Saigon time.

Where is the board headquarters?

Oops! @Ciambella, you are BUSTED! Now everyone knows you are 'The Man' Behind The Curtain!

:lol:

If  only we had a Toto that could expose George Soros.

gobot wrote:

ping expat.com
https://ipinfo.io/87.98.165.158
Roubaix France, 5 timezones earlier than Vietnam

Looks like you nailed it.  In our modern internet world, the moderators can be in Mauritius while the server is in France.  Interesting.

:offtopic: of course but still interesting.   :one