Moving to Malta to be with my daughter from the UK

I am moving to Malta from the U.K. to be with my daughter, she rents a home, has an ID card, job in Malta and bank account.

I will not be working in Malta as I will be helping look after my grandchildren for my daughter, would I need to for residency or is this covered under my daughters?

Thank you

Staceyindica wrote:

I am moving to Malta from the U.K. to be with my daughter, she rents a home, has an ID card, job in Malta and bank account.

I will not be working in Malta as I will be helping look after my grandchildren for my daughter, would I need to for residency or is this covered under my daughters?

Thank you

You will like your daughter have to apply for your own residence card, not an ID card, and prove you are self sufficient.

Staceyindica wrote:

Thank you

As an EU citizen you will need to apply for residency one way or another after a maximum of three months stay.
You can apply as self sufficient if you have sufficient income or on an employed or self self employed basis, not sure about as your daughters dependent though.
Read through the pinned post 0n residency at the beginning of the forum and check out the link to Identity Malta.

Ray

Thank you.

What if I will be living with my daughter, I will not be working as I am looking after her children.

Kindest

Staceyindica wrote:

Thank you.

What if I will be living with my daughter, I will not be working as I am looking after her children.

Kindest

You will still have to apply for a residence card yourself and prove you are self sufficient, living with your daughter does not stop you for applying.

You don't have to have residency to live in Malta.

john champion wrote:

You don't have to have residency to live in Malta.

Once you have lived here for three months you are required to apply for residency, it does have benefits especially if you are retired also we use ours whenever we are being served in the bank.
When you are having medical treatment they also ask for your ID number.
Why not apply for it?

You don't have to apply for residency. I know dozens of people who have been working here for three years or more and do not have ID residency

I wonder how many have not registered with the tax office either which is a requirement here whether you work or not.    What happens when they are asked for their ID number?

john champion wrote:

You don't have to apply for residency. I know dozens of people who have been working here for three years or more and do not have ID residency

You do. It's a requirement. Just because Malta is lax about enforcing this or chasing down people who don't doesn't mean it's not required.

Every country can decide if they expect people to register as part of EU free movement. You are obliged to do so. Not doing it could have later repercussions if they do decide to crack down on this. It's trivial to do.

“There is an obligation to register one's presence with the Department for Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs if one intends to reside in Malta for more than 3 months in exercise of a Treaty Right (article 3(1) of the Free Movement of European Union Nationals and their Family Members Order (LN 191 of 2007) )  or in case of job seekers after 6 months of residence.”

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/r … dex_en.htm

It is a legal requirement in Malta to register that you are residing here regardless of EU regulations, also as Gozomo said, you have to register with the tax office.
There will always be some who do not comply with the law and many of them don't so they can still claim benefits from their home countries.
Why would anyone not get there eResidence card, it costs you nothing!

As for the original poster, perhaps an application could be made as a family member.

Generally, you will need to register with ID Malta in accordance with Maltese and EU law.

Since, it has been difficult to assess if you are a retiree, and you have specified that you will be dependent on your daughter while assisting her to take care of your grandchild:

In that case, Article 8 of Maltese Subsidiary Legislation 460.17 applies. You will likely need to apply as an EU dependent family member of EU citizen working in Malta (assumed you are EU citizen).

In view of above, you will need to provide a proof of family relationship such as birth registration certificate of your daughter. Your daughter will need to provide a proof of your dependency on her, such as her bank statement,  which shows regular remittances to you (no specified amount is required) (Sometimes, you might also need a letter drafted by a lawyer and apostilled by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, to show your dependency).

If the above can not be met, then you might need to apply as an economic self-sufficient: in this case, you are applying independently, rather than as a dependent of your daughter.