Asian Tiger Mosquito

is expected to be back in large numbres again this year...

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi … ito.364750

They made my summer hell last year and I've lived most of the last 20 years in Minnesota, USA where the "State Bird" is a mosquito!

Tim

We've just fitted mosquito nets over the beds in anticipation of our little friend, have already been on the marmite every day and will be ordering the Avon SSS in quantity soon.

Hate mossies.:(

Sorry if i'm not supposed to do this but i think these products maywell help!

Amanda. x

Nomad Neet Deet

100ml bottle
100% DEET (Diethyletolumide) Use on clothing
For added protection in fast sweat off situations such as tropical rainy seasons. Works best on 100% cotton for example, hat brim, bedding,socks,shirt collar and cuffs. DO NOT USE ON RAYON PRODUCTS

£5.99 Quantity: 

incognito soaps

Rich moisturizing texture
100% Natural -No Parabans, SLS's, detergents or GMO ingredients
Prevents bites from all insects

Ingredients- Lemongrass & citronella soap:Organic cymbopogon winterianus (Organic Java citronella), cymbopogon citrates (lemongrass), citral, eugenol, geranoil, citronellol, farnesol, limone and linalool all in rice bran oil.
Ingredients - Ginger & citonella soap:Organic cymbopogon winterianus (Organic Java Citronella), alpinia galanga (ginger), citral, eugenol, geraniol, citronellol, farnesol, limone and linalool all in rice bran oil.

£5.00
Varieties
Select an optionLemongrass & Citronella  (£5.00)Ginger & Citronella  (£5.00)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20

Unlike ordinary soaps, incognito soaps are totally free of any fragrances that attract insects – in fact some of our ingredients help to shield you from insects. All soaps boast a rich texture, a tangy refreshing aroma and lather up really well – moisturizing the skin as you wash away worries. These soaps alone can be sufficient to keep insects away for the majority of people in Europe. They are not as powerful as our spray or moisturising cream, so we do recommend you use them in conjunction with the incognito spray if you are traveling further afield.

The base of the soaps is rice bran oil rich in Vitamin E, phytosterols and other anti-oxidants.  You don't need insects as an excuse to use these super-healthy items.  In Japan, women who use rice bran oil on their skin are known as rice bran beauties.  These soaps are also suitable for children and babies.  Avoid contact with sensitive areas like the eyes and mouth.

Rich moisturizing texture

100% Natural -No Parabans, SLS's, detergents or GMO ingredients

Helps prevent bites from all insects

Everyone has been talking about this Tiger chap... is he worse than usual mozzie bites? If so, in what way?!

Thanks!

EDIT- aaah ok I just read the link you helpfully posted :) so are they just itchier than usual? Causing people to get infections? I got bitten a lot last year but nothing really seemed out of the ordinary. I've not taken any measures like worrying about insect screens and am now worrying that I should!

Oh, believe me those critters are way worse than regular mosquitos! Basically, the problems with them are:
1. they are really small and silent (to our ears), so you don't get the warnings that they are around that you get with regular mosquitos...the buzzing or actually seeing them flying around. So, the first you know about them is when it's already too late and you've been bitten...then
2. the bites are so much more itchy than the normal mosquito ones. I am pretty good at not scratching usually (PLENTY of practice in Minnesota) but these are impossible not to scratch and then you get the broken skin and risk of infection;
3. the itchiness lasts for days and days - a good Minnesota mosquito bite would itch for maybe 2 days, perhaps 3 for a really bad one, these last 7-10 days in my experience.

I still have the marks on my legs from last summer :(

But, not everyone is troubled by them - in my household there are 4 of us: 2 male and 2 female, only me and my son got badly affected last year, my wife and daughter got the occasional bite....so if you aren't usually troubled by mosquitos in general then you shouldn't worry unduly about these...but if you're like me..be afraid, be very afraid!

I used Neem capsules the last time, you can also put on the lotions,
apparently then your blood doesnt taste as appealing to the little critters.

All though I cant guarantee it will ward off the vampires :)

Ive had 6 bites alredy this week!!!!   apparently gin is good to rub in once bitten (a waste??!!)

I bought one of the plug in things with the liquid but obviously not working!!!!

Where can I  buy the Neem Capsules?

The pharmacies stock Vega a UK brand, and have the neem capsules about 16-18 Euros.
You could pick the leaves and make Neem tea, grows here locally :)

being from Minnesota, and after reading Tim's comments I am scared...   I guess I'll have to break down and buy a screen door.  :(

Denizens of large United States cities face a scourge referred to as Asian Tiger mosquito. The Wall Street Journal reports that species Aedes albopictus, which is recognized for its black-and-white striped physique, is as new to the U.S. as is it is “vicious” and hard to destroy. Unlike most mosquitoes, the Asian Tiger bites during the daytime. Like most mosquitoes, it can distribute illnesses like dengue fever. I found this here: newsytype.com/9155-asian-tiger-mosquito-menace .

Hello SamanthaG & welcome to Expat.com!

Thanks for this information.

Harmonie.:)

My boyfriend is pretty sure he had an Asian Giant Hornet land on his foot yesterday.. He said it was like a bee/wasp almost the size of a small bird (!). Any other similar sightings?!

iamharibo wrote:

My boyfriend is pretty sure he had an Asian Giant Hornet land on his foot yesterday.. He said it was like a bee/wasp almost the size of a small bird (!). Any other similar sightings?!

Whoa! - I would run a mile if I saw one of those things!

http://milesandhisfavorites.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/asian-giant-hornet1.jpg