MM2H: how long did it take for you?

How long was your process from the day of accepting all of your documents by the office to issuing the letter of approval? Could you please state month and year in your reply. Many thanks!

End of June 2018 - Still waiting ;)

We asked the agency in June if there is a backlog. The office confirmed in writing that the process will take 90 business days, which is 4.5 months. Now they just responded that they have a backlog.

Floaton - the MM2H approval process has been suspended. The new government is doing a full review of the programme. It's also been moved from under the Tourist Ministry to the Immigration Department - https://www.imidaily.com/program-update … a-program/  This information has been verified by a major MM2H Agent.

There is nothing about suspension on their website:  http://mm2honline.motac.gov.my
Why wouldn't they post it on their home page?

The Government website never posts anything about the current timetable for approvals. It's always been a case-by-case process and therefore confidential.

My agent indeed told me that they were moving from the ministry of tourism to immigration. But that this would only apply to new applications and that all the already submitted ones would still fall under the ministry of tourism?

So that could mean approved ("already submitted") MM2H applications will continue to be handled by the Tourist Ministry until the passport stamping is completed (for continuity). Future ("new") approvals will be handled under the Immigration Department.

The other news was the approving Committee was going to change. So that would make sense, if Immigration were now handling all future approvals.

There was a flurry of approvals in June/July this year (i.e. letters were received a couple of months later) It was also reported earlier in this year there was a complete standstill of approvals between December and April.

Floaton - there is an announcement on the MM2H website about Driving Licences which may be of interest.

Gravitas wrote:

So that could mean approved ("already submitted") MM2H applications will continue to be handled by the Tourist Ministry until the passport stamping is completed (for continuity). Future ("new") approvals will be handled under the Immigration Department.

The other news was the approving Committee was going to change. So that would make sense, if Immigration were now handling all future approvals.

Yes I imagine they will make some changes to the program so it seems normal to me that the already submitted applications will stay with the old ministry. However what makes sense is of course not always the way things go :).

There was a flurry of approvals in June/July this year (i.e. letters were received a couple of months later) It was also reported earlier in this year there was a complete standstill of approvals between December and April.

I got my "received for verification" message in the system, but ever since it has been the same status.

Floaton - there is an announcement on the MM2H website about Driving Licences which may be of interest.

You mean because this seems like they are taking a less accommodating stance towards foreigners/expats?

The new government is looking to streamline the civil service so it's efficient. Rule changes are part of this. The DL area has been confusing and messy for a while but having a IDP was introduced last year as a means to use ones current license if a List B country. Now it seems List A countries are brought into the same regime. List A counties were able to automatically exchange their DL plus people on Mm2h. Now  everyone just needs a valid foreign DL plus IDP. This may not be the end of the story. Hopefully it will mean the one rule for all will eliminate checkpoint confusion..... Of course getting an annual IDP will potentially be problematic for some so the option remains to pass a local test to obtain a Malaysian DL. There has been some discussion among Expats that insurance issues can arise when not using a local DL if a claim or accident occur but no substantiated experiences.

Yes I've heard about insurance issues as well when not having a valid local driving license. Then again if the authorities allow an IDL, I assume there wouldn't be an issue?

Back on-topic, has anyone received their MM2H recently? Seems everything is still paused...

The approval process is suspended right now.

From info in discussion groups, people confirmed receiving approval at a Committee Meeting held on 31st July with the letters dated 18-20th September and received early October. (I know the dates sound strange but that's what at least 3 people have reported). The length of time taken for the decision varied but 5 months seems to be a recurring time taken from that batch - so the applications made around February. This would probably be best case scenario though.

Gravitas wrote:

The approval process is suspended right now.

I actually went to MM2H office and I was told that they still accept new applications, that the article about suspending is not true, that they still process all applications. However, due to the recent change in their management and a merge of their department with the Ministry of Immigration this process will be delayed. A representative said that this may take 7 months instead of 5 months as it was usually.

No news yet, of another batch being processed (2 Committee Meetings per month take place). But will let you know if I hear anyone announcing their approval. Member Floaton is a good marker of what is happening because of when he submitted his application. So the outcome would be due either November or January according to your information.

British Nationals have an upcoming consular event (31st October 2018) at which there is a presentation by the MM2H programme. So it will be interesting to get the feedback next week.

http://mm2h.gov.my/index.php/en/list-of … ernoon-tea

Gravitas wrote:

No news yet, of another batch being processed (2 Committee Meetings per month take place). But will let you know if I hear anyone announcing their approval. Member Floaton is a good marker of what is happening because of when he submitted his application. So the outcome would be due either November or January according to your information.

Yeah I'll let you guys know if I hear anything.

@Gravitas: December wouldn't be possible because of the holidays?

Christmas is pretty low key in Malaysia
6 Nov    Tue    Deepavali
20 Nov    Tue    Prophet Muhammad's Birthday
25 Dec    Tue    Christmas Day

I checked my approval letter for timings (not 2018).

Committee Meeting held on 29th April
Letter dated 6th May
MM2H website updated 8/9th May

No long delay as has happened this year since July.

One tip I heard recently is that its very important to always keep your cancelled/expired Passports as they are frequently required to be presented, alongside the current one. It seems some nationals have to request their old passport to be returned? Yesterday I experienced it myself, when I had to present both expired and new passports to collect my annually issued Credit Card from the bank.

We've been told that the approvals for applications with numbers above 37000 are suspended until they decide what office is going to handle the approvals. There is no obstruction in acceptance or processing of applications. Only the approval process is suspended at this time.

We applied early june 2018.

Till date, no news...  :(

lplplpl wrote:

We applied early june 2018.

Till date, no news...  :(

Is your ref. number above 37000?

Yes. My number is above 37000

What about your number? Also above ?

We applied at the end of June, number also slightly above 37000, no approval yet..

floaton wrote:

We applied at the end of June, number also slightly above 37000, no approval yet..

Approvals for the applications with the numbers above 37000 are suspended until they decide what office is going to handle the approvals. Sad.

expat000 wrote:
floaton wrote:

Approvals for the applications with the numbers above 37000 are suspended until they decide what office is going to handle the approvals. Sad.

Who told you this, I asked my agent and they said approvals are still coming in?
I must say I'm somewhat disappointed by the time this whole process takes. You'd think they would be able to decide whether or not to give out a longterm visa in a period less than 6 months.

floaton wrote:
expat000 wrote:
floaton wrote:

Who told you this, I asked my agent and they said approvals are still coming in?

We applied without an agent and can go to MM2H office and ask about the progress for our application. We've been told that approvals for the applications with the numbers above 37000 are suspended until it will be decided who can be assigned to handle approvals, the Ministry of Tourism or the Ministry of Internal Affairs.  No one knows how long it will take. A clerk also told us that they continue accepting new applications. Maybe "approvals are still coming in" for the applications below #37000.

I've also called one of the agents dealing with MM2H visas in order to hear what they say about approvals and I was told that there is no suspension for approvals. It looks like the agents don't want to spread  negative news about the program.

For us, it has been already 7 months of waiting...

expat000 wrote:

I've also called one of the agents dealing with MM2H visas in order to hear what they say about approvals and I was told that there is no suspension for approvals. It looks like the agents don't want to spread  negative news about the program.

For us, it has been already 7 months of waiting...

You might be right about this (not wanting to spread negative news). It's already January now and still nothing.
Hopefully others on this forum are having more luck than us.

I was told by one agent recently about the suspension.

The agency is still collecting applications for MM2H in KL.

I would advise new applicants, who still believe in this program and apply through their agent, not to pay in full upfront to their agent, but perhaps just 1/3. They will tell you in 3 months after application that there is an unexpected delay or a backlog happened .  And you will wait endlessly.

You may consider other countries while waiting for Malaysia to come to the solution...

Sure agent will tell you 3 month even some of them will not tell you that the program had been freeze not for applying but delivery approval since October 1 2018 , agent can do nothing about that even not get any date when the approval will be resume . They need to keep on of their business . Advise if you apply now don't pay full agent fees as we don't know how many month or year the new approval will be start again .

expat000 wrote:

You may consider other countries while waiting for Malaysia to come to the solution...

Not really any other countries that meet our requirements and have the ability to get a residence visa.

I guess we'll just wait and see longer, had I known in advance I would have gone with a Labuan setup, but right now it is probably best to just sit it out and hope for the best.

Hi floaton
how will Labuan setup helps to allow you to stay in Malaysia?

lplplpl wrote:

Hi floaton

I looked into it. It's not cheap. Minimum paid up capital for a Labuan company that needs a work permit for a foreigner is RM250,000. Even some of the company registry agents are saying it's not an easy path to a visa, and you really should be able to demonstrate a genuine desire to run a real, active company in Malaysia, not just a front.

lplplpl wrote:

Hi floaton

I would move my business over to the Labuan company. Since it is location independent that is quite doable. If you are retired it would make less sense though.

The supposed advantages (take this with a grain of salt, I was told mm2h would be done within 6 months as well) are:
- low company taxes (about $7000 fixed/annum)
- quick setup (promised visa within 3 months)
- can live within malaysia just like with the mm2h

You indeed have to deposit a certain amount, but it is still lower than with the mm2h and you can actually use it as working capital.

Either way on paper mm2h seemed the best and easiest option at the time :D.

Hi,

I submitted my application almost six months ago through an agent. And my application current status is pending committee approval.

anyone recently got the MM2H approval letter?  And how long you have been waiting to get the approval.

Thanks

Last approvals seem to be September 2018 (date of letter).

It was reported this week in media there are 3000 applications in a queue

Gravitas wrote:

I saw that figure quoted for Sabah, not Putrajaya. Do you have a source?

The figure was for Putrajaya in an article from Sabah where there are  apparently under 20 Mm2h applications a year. It's same article.

Gravitas wrote:

The figure was for Putrajaya in an article from Sabah where there are  apparently under 20 Mm2h applications a year. It's same article.

I assumed because it was in the Borneo Post that it was about Sabah, but I checked and you are correct, it's about a holdup at KDN in Putrajaya. Apologies.

Gravitas wrote:

Which media was this in and did they give a reason as to why?