Please help clarify about teaching English w/o a degree.

Hello folks! I need to ask for a bit of clarity and perhaps encouragement. I have a TEFL and CTEYL, however, I have no degree or formal teaching experience. I've often been called upon to train new employees at various tech support jobs (where I also spent my entire day explaining complex concepts in simple terms). I figure that can be somewhat related experience.

When I made the decision to move to Cambodia (which I will be doing in early February), the information I received at the time was that it's easy to find a job teaching English as long as you're a native speaker and preferably have at least a TEFL. I'd heard that Cambodia was desperate for teachers.

I renewed my passport, dove into the TEFL program, and bought my plane ticket. Now it's starting to look like the opposite is true. That most jobs are requiring degrees and/or experience, regardless of the TEFL. At this point, I'm too invested in time, money, and effort to really back out.

I'm planning to stay long-term and make this a career and a new life, and take it seriously. I want to do my best for the students so they can have more options in their future. I want to help Cambodia be in the hands of more Cambodians. I'm not going there to fund some party lifestyle or to just go elsewhere in a month or a year. 

I guess what I want to know is if my efforts might be in vain. Should I be worried about finding a job?

Hello.

First you are not a NES [Native English Speaker] and that is a requirement that many schools have.

But, there are also many schools that prefer the TEFL over being a NES, so it's a matter of searching, applying for jobs, visiting schools, dropping off your CV with photo and a portion of luck.

Talking about Phnom Penh there are many job vacancies for teachers, so just a matter of finding the right one.

Come over and get it working, it's possible so get a positive attitude and go for it!

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

I am a native English speaker. I'm American. I apologize if that wasn't clear. Thanks for the encouragement!

I just noticed that for some odd reason the site has me classified as Iranian. I can't find an American or United States option to select.

Update: I got it fixed.

Glad you fixed it. Be careful with making profiles.

Now that you're a NES there should be no problem whatsoever to get a teaching job.

You will easily find a job when you stay in Phnom Penh, in other much smaller cities it's more difficult.

Good luck!

Joe

Thanks much! I'd really like to start out in Siem Reap, but I'm thinking it may be best to do a year in PP then see what's available in SR.