Considering taking a job in Netherlands

Hi everyone,
I have to make a big decision and have some problems with that…
I will start from beginning – I'm 26 years old engineer, currently working in Birmingham. Main target is to make the money for better living…
My current gross annual salary in UK is £31K = approx. €35K + I have yearly bonus of £5K
So all together it goes to £36K = €41k GROSS.
I recently applied for a job in NL for automation company and they offered mi job where i can earn (monthly) €3,200 + €250 + I will get yearly 8% from the holidays.
If you count it then you will get €41,400 gross basics and €44,712 (including 8%).

So now I have
€41,400 (incl. Bonus = €44,712) NL
€35k (incl. Bonus = €41k) UK
From that perspective you can clearly say that it is benefitial to move out from UK and go living in NL… BUT there is a lot of hidden costs i.e in UK I don't have to pay extra for insurance (it is all included) there is no requirement for private pension (gov pension is included) when I do the full breakdown based on basic salary I have

In UK
31K Gross is £2,040 nett per month
£450 – studio rent
£20 – phone contract with unlimited data
£80 – city communication
£20 - gym
£400 – food + going out on weekends
So basically if I don't buy any gadgets or clothes I have approx £1,100k = €1,250 left on my account

In NL
€41,400 Gross is (by using https://thetax.nl) = € 2,464 (or € 2,960 when I apply 30% ruling)
Min €800 for a studio – very difficult to find it for so low price…
€120 for health insurance
€250 for pension (I read that i can not opt out and the website thetax.nl doesn't count it as i can't find it)
€40 for the phone contract (is this correct for unlimited data?)
I have no clue about the city communication I will probably cycle, but let say extra €40 for buses
€40 – gym
€500 – food i think it is minimum because cost is bigger than in UK
All together it goes up to €1790
In that instance if I don't buy any gadgets or clothes I have approx €674 or €1170 (when applied 30% ruling)…

Guys please correct me if I'm wrong in my living cost calculation in NL… As currently I'm so unhappy about that as I would like to start new challenge (work) in differend coutry and have a change, but I wouldn't do it for SAME or LOWER wage … I only change when I have better salary (and I'm quite happy with my current job)
You see when i had a chat with HR about the salaries and they told me about 30% ruling € 2,960 which is £2604 i thought – yeah £600 more per month great! But when you include all of your expenses then that salary is lower on the end of the month…
Is the life in NL is so expensive? I need to make my decision by end of this month as my contract starts in January 2019, but I'm not sure at all…

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

To answer your specific question; yes, Holland is expensive if you live in Amsterdam, drive a new car, buy at Supermarkets and get your clothes from fashion shops.  Those prices you quote are really basic prices and should you have to use a doctor, you have to pay the first 380 euro (p/annum) of any medicines prescribed and certain things are considered as extras, for which you have to pay extra (i.e. physio).

Pensions are compulsory, you can't opt out (it's one of the items that comes under the Social Security heading in the tax calculator; in addition to the pension,  it also provides for surviving partner pension and specific health costs), you still have to pay for Health Insurance on top of that.  You're probably thinking whether that's fair as you have no intention of staying, but when it comes to retirement, you and your partner will still be entitled to a % relevant to how much you paid in.

You appear to have missed out water, electric and Council Taxes (Gemeentebelasting) from your calculation; you'd need to inquire at the Town hall where you live to find out how much that is.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

https://i.imgur.com/sBlGoql_d.jpg?maxwi … ity=medium[/img]>[link under review]e social security tax? Does it mean that when I use salary calculator website and get results like that :

https://i.imgur.com/kCX1rsy_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Is the Month Nett Income correct ?? That would mean €250 which I have put as extra cost would stay in my pocket :)

I have check online and housing is approx 800 euros and it is including all bills (electricity, water etc.)

Still not entirely sure if it is worth to move out from UK (in terms of salary)...

https://i.imgur.com/sBlGoql_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

If I apply 30% ruling it is 2,960 (including pension?) is it good enough for the single person ? I know it is difficult question as everyone spend different amount of money... but in relation to what I have posted before it seems reasonable, but not as good as in UK :(

Hi again,

The comparison you've run is valid in as much as it's as good as the information you've entered.

Regarding cost comparison; the NUMBEO website provides information regarding this; I've set it up to do a comparison between Brum and Amsterdam; this link will take you there.  You'll see that Holland is very expensive; that said, the further away from Amsterdam you live, the cheaper it gets.  The data reflects the previous 6 months, so will always be a bit behind the curve - but the price comparison remains relevant.

As for if it's enough, my daughter earns a bit more than that and she lives OK but she doesn't "drive a new car, buy at Supermarkets or get her clothes from fashion shops" (and she lives in the east of Holland which is about as cheap as you can get); nor does she drink,  smoke or spend every Fri/Sat night in a club.  So, yes, you could live on that, but if you do the above, your money will soon be gone.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team