Moving companies - Canada to Colombia

Hi everyone

I'm planning on moving to Bogota or Medellin in 2019. I wanted to understand if moving my personal effects i.e home items and possibly my motorcycle is cost effective. Does anyone have any experience in this area? If it is cost effective can anyone recommend a mover?

ASoliveri wrote:

I'm planning on moving to Bogota or Medellin in 2019. I wanted to understand if moving my personal effects i.e home items and possibly my motorcycle is cost effective. Does anyone have any experience in this area? If it is cost effective can anyone recommend a mover?

Dear A.S.,

Welcome to the Colombia forums of expat.com....

When I moved from North America to South America in 2013, I found that bringing extra suitcases was cost-effective and eliminated potential situations involving complicated logistics and a host of costs, some probably hidden costs.

Pay extra for some suitcases -- or fly business class for free carriage -- and you'll have your stuff when you get off the plane and pass through customs.

Employ a moving company instead and your first three months in Colombia may be dominated by the logistical morass that Expats have often experienced in the past.

Unless you have priceless, large items that absolutely must be shipped now through a professional moving company, save yourself the headaches and bring your essential belongings in suitcases.

When in doubt, start fresh.  Almost anything you really need is available in Bogotá or Medellín.

As for your motorcyle, that's a personal decision.  The above considerations apply.  There are plenty of new and used motos available for purchase in La República. 

Riding a moto in large Colombian cities is widely considered inadvisable.

cccmedia

I agree with ccc-just sell or junk everything.

Big hassle and not cost effective to move stuff.

I have lived in 8 countries and only moved my stuff once- back and forth to Saudi Arabia-and only because Aramco paid for it

thanks everyone!