To do more in berin

Hi dear all.
this is raj. At present i am in India. I am 48 now. I have Graduate degree in Arts and had associated with film study center and film society at university of Allahabad,india during my graduation and later in PG work.  i started my professional career as radio artist and writer and as Journalist long ago. After that i move to main media...for  movie making. I worked with Media Lab iitb India and also did research in MT System for 4 years at the dept. of Computer science and Engg. iitb, India. Maximum time i have found only drops of   fund and made several short , documentary films for awareness. I am a writer as well , and at present writing something (fictions and movie script). due to some reason i could not get right people, place and environment to give more. I want to start some work there in Berlin. I know that i am not  a job seeker now..even if possible i would like to create few jobs as well. After struggling long i have some saving to start a small business( under a freelance or self employed work). If i get one more suitable guy/gal based  in Berlin then i can smoothly go ahead in this program. My main aim is to do some research based  film making  and same time to help struggling artist. Hope 20-25 k euro would be a sufficient and meaningful amount for the investment to start a life in berlin. i ahve so many interesting ideas which can bring some interesting work there.

Hope for the best.

Thank you all.

raj

There is a famous film making school in Babelsberg (Potsdam), near Berlin. This could be the starting point for your inquiries.
Thre were several discussions on this forum about starting a business in Germany - not in the artistic field, but the formalities and requirements are similar.
It is advisable to have sufficient financial reserves for the initial 1 - 3 years without profits (until the business is established and runs well) and to have a Plan B in case this fails. €20k is little for that - and you have nothing left to invest.
Another note: Of course you need good German language skills to start anything like that in Germany.

thank you.

As an artist one can have an advantage getting to Germany. Although there are painters, actors, singers and musicians in Germany, if one is something unique or special and can show a track record of success then they often get permission. A problem is that it is given from 6 to 24 months and one never knows if it gets renewed or for how long. If one is very successful and can show they make a lot of money – and pay their taxes and social contributions - then they usually have little problem. If one struggles and doesn't earn much then it becomes problematic. I don't know how it is as a film maker. One needs to make a name for themselves and find the right connections. One can make a great documentary or film but then how is it sold or distributed? The granting of a visa for such work will probably depend on showing a viable business plan for success.

As a performer myself I was contacted years ago by a guy that was making a documentary about performers. His was an independent production that sold the finished product to TV channels. But he had the connections. As I understood, he proposed different ideas to the potential buyers who made a commitment of interest but nothing more. Thus he avoided doing subjects they would have no interest in but he had to come up with a good documentary that would actually get bought.

But he had a cameraman and other assistant – all of whom had to be paid. And the camera alone that they used cost over 60,000 Euros. Not sure if low budget operators can rent rather than buy such equipment to avoid the big capital investment but the upshot is that there can be plenty of costs involved to pull off something like this. I think most independent film projects only get off of the ground when they find investors. The question is always who, where or how does one find them?   And every aspect of such a project has to be seen in the context of you coming to a foreign country where you will lack connections and proficiency in the language. Thus your chance of success will be lower than a local in a similar situation. I don't want to be overly skeptical but it sounds difficult! If you had written that you had met colleagues from Germany that invited you to work with them on a project or in a company then I would think this would be a likely foot in the door. Maybe you should search the internet to make contacts to other film makers in Germany you could work with?