Tourist visa to Work visa

I want to work in china and have started my job search. Have some interviews lined up and hopefully could get a job within 1-2 months.

In the mean time, I would like to travel to China with a tourist visa and spend some time there to get to know the area before I move there.

So my question is, can I get a work visa while I am in China with a tourist visa? I don't want to go back to the UK and then come back to China.

Also I will have all my necessary documents pre-prepared. i.e background check etc. all planned for as if I was going abroad for a job, if that makes sense

If I can bring all of my belongings with me to China with my travel visa and then while I'm there, I find a job and transfer to a work visa. That would be very ideal.

A few years ago you could do what you propose, however things have changed. As I understand it, the Chinese embassy in you home country will process the Z-visa. So you come to China, on a visitor visa. You get a job. They set the Z-visa in motion, and when the time comes, you will have to go back home for the criminal background check. This is how I understand it to be.

Now, different regions have different process variations. So, you will need to talk to your employer about this. In any event, you come to China on a visitor visa and get a job.  Your future employer will tell you the next steps.  best wishes.

Rules and regulations change but my understanding is slightly different. You must apply from your home country to the prospective employer (who must be registered with the Government to employ foreigners) who will provide you with the means to obtain a Z visa. You travel on this visa which is then changed for residence and work permits soon after your arrival in China. It is also difficult to change employers in China.

As far as I know It is not possible to get a (legal) Z visa in China and promises from unscrupulous employers and agents to get your tourist visa changed is very risky and may result in a fine and deportation with a re-entry ban in your passport.

Whichever method is correct you will still need to be in the UK.

Yes I thought so too. Which means that I can apply for the Z visa while I am in the UK. Travel to China and then get my work permit. Which means I don't have to be in the UK to get my work permit?

This is not necessarily true. If you already have a z-visa and residency in China, it is still possible to change and switch jobs once your contract with your employer expires. I think that the process is easier.You do not have to start all over again from scratch.

A few years ago I would switch jobs and employers when my contract expired, and it was just a matter of some paperwork changing hands. No travel was required.