Questions regarding a move to Cambodia.

Hi to you all

I have been following this forum the last month and it has already given me some insight in what is going on in Phnom Penh for an expat.

I am seriously thinking about a move to Phnom Penh in order to start up FIT travel and group tours for the Scandinavian market, and will also be visiting my local tour operator in Phnom Penh here in June to discuss the possibilities.

I of course have some questions and would appreciate if anyone could answer any of the questions below... even if only some of them. :)

1) I know it is quite easy to attain a work permit in Cambodia. But how easy is it to register a company owned by myself? I will be the only one working in this company to begin with and will perform travel quotations and work as a tour guide. Does anybody know a reliable accountant (maybe expat) who could help me get started and help me avoid unavoidable hassle? Maybe someone I could get a meeting with when I arrive in June?

2) Anybody own a smart phone in Cambodia? Is data traffic reliable on fx. an android device?

3) Is it possible to get a USB dongle Internet connection? Are these reliable?

4) I have seen loads of apartments in Bong Thom classifieds in the 300 - 500 us $ range. Are these apartments as good as they sound? Cause it seems quite easy to get a great apartment for this amount.

Well I am in the process of gathering info and any tips will be useful.

Thanks for looking in and maybe I will run into you in the future.

Welcome on board Ronni ;)

I hope that other members will contribute to your several interesting queries soon.

Best of luck ;)

Hi there,

1.   Register a company in your own name by yourself is no problem.  However, becoming a legit tour guide...one must take exam and obtain tour guide license from Minitry of Tourism.  Don't know any accountant (or expat) who can help you out on this.  Can check with Bun & Associates (local law firm) to see if they can help.  If you have linkedin account, can aslo seeks help from this group 'Cambodia Professionals' or link http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Cambodia … g_ugrp_ovr

2.  I'm on BlackBerry...it's ok for email and not good surfing!
3.  I'm now on USB dongle with service provided by metphone (about $30/months).  Very reliable and quite fast for Cambodia.
4.  300-500 for one bedroom should get you quite a decent place in decent location!

Good Luck

Hello,Same here but different :)
I would love to know if you start a business in Cambodia in fashion if this is possible ? Or better do it in my homeland and travel back and forward ? As i want to set up a new fashionlabel and want to spend several months in Cambodia or Thailand (not sure yet).I don't know witch of those 2 country's is best.I I want to start sell online and maybe later take an agent to sell to boutiques or open my own.I heard lot's of clothing manufacturers in Cambodia.I am looking for manufacturers to ( develop product,samples and prototypes(patternmaking) )that are willing to start with small orders and can develop my fashion creations from drawings or pictures.Also in Thailand.I want to set up a new clothing line in woman fashion,mid to high quality.As i don't know how succesfull it will be i want to start small and see from there.Besides my own creations i can sell ready made fashion aswell as long as it fit's my creations and style does'nt have to be a big factory but i do need a reliable factory.If they make samples that if i order more they can provide the same fabric as in the sample..I leave for Thailand on 7 April and i will go to Cambodia for a few day's aswell.If any body know's a few adresses? Would be great ! Also a good and reliable law firm adress in Pnom Phen would be very good for me to know.Anybody knows one ?
Thx

Carina

inkmermaid1 wrote:

Hello,Same here but different :)
I would love to know if you start a business in Cambodia in fashion if this is possible ? Or better do it in my homeland and travel back and forward ? As i want to set up a new fashionlabel and want to spend several months in Cambodia or Thailand (not sure yet).I don't know witch of those 2 country's is best.I I want to start sell online and maybe later take an agent to sell to boutiques or open my own.I heard lot's of clothing manufacturers in Cambodia.I am looking for manufacturers to ( develop product,samples and prototypes(patternmaking) )that are willing to start with small orders and can develop my fashion creations from drawings or pictures.Also in Thailand.I want to set up a new clothing line in woman fashion,mid to high quality.As i don't know how succesfull it will be i want to start small and see from there.Besides my own creations i can sell ready made fashion aswell as long as it fit's my creations and style does'nt have to be a big factory but i do need a reliable factory.If they make samples that if i order more they can provide the same fabric as in the sample..I leave for Thailand on 7 April and i will go to Cambodia for a few day's aswell.If any body know's a few adresses? Would be great ! Also a good and reliable law firm adress in Pnom Phen would be very good for me to know.Anybody knows one ?
Thx

Carina

You have posted on an old thread, almost 4 years old. I would suggest that you open a new thread on the forum.

Hey Mate ,

Heres an answer to a couple of your questions

1) I know it is quite easy to attain a work permit in Cambodia. But how easy is it to register a company owned by myself? I will be the only one working in this company to begin with and will perform travel quotations and work as a tour guide. Does anybody know a reliable accountant (maybe expat) who could help me get started and help me avoid unavoidable hassle? Maybe someone I could get a meeting with when I arrive in June?   - ive got a contact that registered our company here he's a Malaysian and they basically registered our company here and sorted out most of our issues.. il get you his contact if you need it , its better to contact him and then go through the company.

2) Anybody own a smart phone in Cambodia? Is data traffic reliable on fx. an android device?  - im using an iphone 6 plus the connection is bloody good. im on LTE aso not an issue

3) Is it possible to get a USB dongle Internet connection? Are these reliable?  - internet on your phone is cheap what i normally do is reload that and share the hotspot with my laptop .

4) I have seen loads of apartments in Bong Thom classifieds in the 300 - 500 us $ range. Are these apartments as good as they sound? Cause it seems quite easy to get a great apartment for this amount.   - weirdly enough they are .. though look at somewhere more central or near the russinam markets abit more pricer but ud save heaps on transport , which is by far the most expensive thing over here

Well I am in the process of gathering info and any tips will be useful.

Thanks for looking in and maybe I will run into you in the future.