DN Visa renewal

I have a DN Business visa which expires 4/25/19.  I'm moving pretty much full-time to Saigon in February (six weeks here, two weeks in the US, repeat for the next two years.  I'm getting married in VN 4/21/19.  I was originally planning to renew the DN visa.

My question is if I arrive again in February will I have to leave on or before 4/25 and then return on the new visa?  I understand that I will be eligible for three year temporary residency card after marriage but I highly doubt I would be able to secure that in the four short days after the wedding.

Or should I maybe just get a new DN visa that is effective for my February trip and just "waste" the last two months on my current visa since this will be the last visa that I will need as it will be replaced going forward with the temporary residency card.  This option would allow me to come in February and stay straight through the wedding date and beyond and allow adequate time to get the TRC.

Will they even issue a new visa with the effective date prior to the expiration of the current one?  I don't know how closely they track these.  I supposed I could tell them I lost the loose leaf visa out of the passport since it's not affixed to the passport. I'm in the US now.

Any suggestions?

SteinNebraska wrote:

I have a DN Business visa which expires 4/25/19.  I'm moving pretty much full-time to Saigon in February (six weeks here, two weeks in the US, repeat for the next two years.  I'm getting married in VN 4/21/19.  I was originally planning to renew the DN visa.

My question is if I arrive again in February will I have to leave on or before 4/25 and then return on the new visa?  I understand that I will be eligible for three year temporary residency card after marriage but I highly doubt I would be able to secure that in the four short days after the wedding.

Or should I maybe just get a new DN visa that is effective for my February trip and just "waste" the last two months on my current visa since this will be the last visa that I will need as it will be replaced going forward with the temporary residency card.  This option would allow me to come in February and stay straight through the wedding date and beyond and allow adequate time to get the TRC.

Will they even issue a new visa with the effective date prior to the expiration of the current one?  I don't know how closely they track these.  I supposed I could tell them I lost the loose leaf visa out of the passport since it's not affixed to the passport. I'm in the US now.

TRC and VEC are issued based on Civil Marriage (aka Marriage Registration in VN). Wedding ceremony has nothing to do with that.

In February when you arrive, try to apply for your marriage registration in your partner's local UBND ASAP. If you're lucky two months is just enough time to get your VN Marriage Certificate from the Govt. You can then apply for TRC immediately.  TRC is issued in 7-10 days.

At that point if you need more time, you can either try to extend your DN visa (could be expensive)  or just do a quick visa run to get a new DL/DN visa (VoA) for the next three months.

Thank you for the information on the marriage registration.  I was unaware of that. 

Bear in mind that an additional DN visa doesn't cost me anything personally.  My company pays for them so getting another one effective in February doesn't matter to me.  It's more of an issue of whether they will even issue another with an effective date prior to the expiration date of the current one.  I'd rather do it in advance if it is possible.

I think it won't be an issue. Since you're now in the US your company can request a cancellation of your current visa and arrange a new DN one from February.
Even without cancellation of your current visa, there shouldn't be any problem IMHO. Your current visa will be automatically cancelled when you apply for a new one from Feb 2019.
Much depends on your company (their letter of invitation). If they want to invite you in VN for an extended period starting from Feb 2019, there's  no reason why a new DN visa won't be issued by the immigration.