Travel insurance

Since I will have to make a visa run at least every six months, could travel insurance function as at least a supplement for health insurance for expats? I see it covers a number of very useful functions such as emergency evacuation and "International Medical” coverage. I see in my research a departure date and a return date must be specified.
Has anyone researched the usefulness of travel insurance WRT expats?
I have dearly paid for Medicare coverage that disappears as soon as I leave the States. I've researched evacuation to Guam that's as far west as Medicare extends, but that's 12 hours away even though it's less than 4000 miles away.

Check to make sure the policy continues after you have done your visa run.

Some policies can be extended for up to 36 months. The evacuation option for the health insurance I was considering was nearly $200 per month. That feature alone seems to make a travel policy attractive.

My policy with Bao Viet, you can get full coverage plus evacuation for 1200 usd a year.

colinoscapee - Cigna wants almost $1000 per MONTH for health insurance with evacuation. Thanks for the information.

Jim-Minh wrote:

colinoscapee - Cigna wants almost $1000 per month for health insurance with evacuation. Thanks for the information.

God gave humans a middle finger designed for expressing feelings to estate agents and insurance brokers.
Good old God.

So lawyers, pig farmers, second-hand car sales-persons, pedophiles, sewage workers (and a long list of others)  have escaped your wrath?

(my apologies to sewage workers...   ..at least, you are useful...)     :shy

Bazza139 wrote:

So lawyers, pig farmers, second-hand car sales-persons, pedophiles, sewage workers (and a long list of others)  have escaped your wrath?

Lawyers - obviously they're firmly on the list but paedophiles are not - that lot are what rusty penknives are for.

To insurance for a moment - Many expat policies appear to be designed for post lobotomised expats as far better and far cheaper policies can commonly be obtained elsewhere.

I think the pig farmers got a bad rap on this one.
Fred - Is Bao Viet a good choice or do you recommend another?

I wouldn't recommend Bao Viet at all. Took out their health insurance and the staff member assigned to handle my file is completely useless. I think she is the only English-speaking staff member there (this is in Vung Tau at the Central Bao VIet office near Vung tau airport)

First she didn't send in my completed form so the card could be issued, then after reminding her, she finally did it. Then she told me I was on the silver plan, then she told me 'gold', after I checked and told her, I'm actually on the 'platinum' plan, she agreed.

I discovered yesterday that she has sent my membership card to a wrong mailbox. My mailbox is 113 she has send the card to 133.

My address was convey by email. So, quite hard to make such an elementary mistake. I have a feeling she got the job through a friend there. Definitely not through merit. In a country where people give education such a high priority, its amazing that someone like her is handling customer files in the main office.