Dentists?

How is the dentists in Malta, is they any in Sliema..
Could an Expat be able to visit and get appointments?

and what is the cost roughly?

Hi Burke92,
I've run a quick search and came up with the following 2 dental clinicsin Sliema.  The first has a price list on the site;-

http://www.fortedent.comhttp://www.signaturedental.com.mt

I hope you find the info helpful.
Answer to your other question, I don't see why an Expat can't have a dental visit ;)

I personally go to St James in Sliema and have found them good. Price seems reasonable to me although I have nothing to compare that to and my insurance covers it.

Burke92 wrote:

Have you actually moved here yet? Because your profile says you are still in the UK.

I ask, because if you are here as a resident, it depends how you obtained your residency with regard to health cover.
If you have health insurance it may well cover dental treatment although probably not routine visits.

You are too young to have cover through the S1 route.

RHA would not cover you.

So odds are you will have to pay for all treatment unless working and paying in to the Maltese Social Security system.

Ray

Burke92 wrote:

Why not?  If you do not like the dentists in Sliema there are plenty of others on the island.

F0xgl0ve wrote:
Burke92 wrote:

Have you actually moved here yet? Because your profile says you are still in the UK.

I ask, because if you are here as a resident, it depends how you obtained your residency with regard to health cover.
If you have health insurance it may well cover dental treatment although probably not routine visits.

You are too young to have cover through the S1 route.

RHA would not cover you.

So odds are you will have to pay for all treatment unless working and paying in to the Maltese Social Security system.

Ray

no i have not moved yet, just making sure a dentist is avaliable and stuff before.

i will be paying for my treatment and appointments i'm guessing.

We do have all medical facilities here!!

As a guide, have just paid 50 Euro for checkup inc. an Xray.

As a further guide, my root canal was approx 600 euro.

JV321 wrote:

wow that expensive, i'll just need check ups and polishing

Burke92 wrote:
JV321 wrote:

wow that expensive, i'll just need check ups and polishing

Make sure you have an appointment in the UK before moving here then save up!!

anyone went to Mater Dei dentists?

I heard St James is good and quite affordable. Medical services in Malta are quite good quality as my friend living there told me.

Although I go to the St Paul's Dental clinic, I can say without hesitation that all the treatment my husband and I have received is considerably less money than I would have paid in the UK (check up, cleaning, fillings and new dentures) .

George's root canal filling was about €250 including antibiotics and 2 appointments

I recommend you Demajo dentist in Gzira. Their price has gone up considerably, but I have tried 2 other dentists, and I cannot recommend them. I still have a caries from Camilleri dentist in StPauls Bay, that he told me "it is just a stain" and now  I will have to get seen someday as it is indeed a cavity. I tried another one in Floriana but wasn't very impressed either.

As a guide, a thorough cleaning in Demajo costs 50 €.

I was impressed by the dentist St St Paul's Bay. I p aid €40 for  check up and clean and €60 for a full mouth x Ray. As there was some question about the bone around my canines, he sent me to a peridonist in Valletta - €100 euro for the consultation report. My canines doo need monitoring but he pick up some potential problems with my molars

Dentists in Malta - you pay - except if you have dental treatment at the hospital, then it is free if you have a Certificate under the RHA.  We use a dentist in St Paul's Bay, Mosta Road - there are 2 next door to each other.  Chris the dentist charges Euros 40 for a clean (this would be done by a hygienist in Britain at a higher cost).  Please note that when you have the Certificate for RHA it means that your healthcare in Malta is free at Clinics & hospital but you have to pay for any treatment in the UK, as you can only have healthcare in one country.  The other way is to have private medical insurance.

I believe it depends on how long you have had your RHA certificate as to whether you still get free NHS
treatment.