Language barriers in Spain

Hello,

Learning a new language is a part of the expat process. Let's find out how crucial it is to know the language in Spain.

What is the official language in Spain, and what are the other popular spoken languages?

Is it possible to live in Spain and get by without speaking the language?

How do you manage to communicate with the locals if you don't speak the native/official language fluently?

What are some popular and useful phrases that expats absolutely need to know?

Can you share some tips about how to survive in Spain on a daily basis without speaking the language?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I'm sure we've answered this general sort of question before but, hey ho.

Castillian, the language that is generally thought of as Spanish is spoken all over Spain. In Galicia, the País Vasco, Catalonia, the Valencian Community and the Balearics there are other languages that are co-official and lots of people speak them too most notably in Catalonia. There are several nationalist movements in Spain and speaking Catalan, Gallego or Basque is seen as an important part of that local identity. Catalonia is the most extreme situation where some people will almost refuse to speak Castillian even though they know the language. The Valencian Community and the Balearic Islands have regional variations on what is basically Catalan though there are some important differences. Lots of people in the Valencian Community are bilingual in Valenciano and Castillian though I have only encountered one person who was unwilling to speak to me in Castillian in fourteen years of living here. There are several other languages but they are a minority sport a bit like speaking Cornish.

You can survive in Spain in English but there are times when that will mean that you have to employ a translator in situations where the information needs to be precise or at places where the locals are fed up of putting up with foreigners. Doctor's surgeries for instance often say something along the lines of "if you don't speak Spanish bring someone with you who does."

Learning Spanish is, in my opinion, the key to living in Spain. To use British examples you may be perfectly happy living in a little ghetto  listening to Radio 2, reading the Daily Mail and watching TV imported from the UK but it's a long way from Spain. If you want to know what's happening around you, find things on the Internet etc., then you will need Castillian and whilst you may be able to have a laugh as you talk to your Spanish neighbour with hardly a word of shared language between you you're unlikely to find out much of any note if you are unable to string two words together.

Spanish is an easy language to speak but most of us find it really hard to learn. We don't have the same sounds and building up a decent vocabulary takes ages. They have complicated verb structures in comparison to English and the gender of words adds another problem. The pronunciation though is uniform and regular which makes things easier. If you're going to speak Spanish you need to take it seriously. You have to work at it, put in the hours. It won't seep in whilst you're at the local supermarket. Working at it means hundreds if not thousands of hours. A famous teacher of English here reckons that the average student takes about 3000 hours to get to a good level of English and I think those figures may well be right the other way around too.

The answer from Culebronchris is accurate. Generally if you live in the tourist areas of those with regional languages you can use either English or Castillano.  We have been to Valencia and Bilbao and lived in Barcelona and had no issues.

Our experience with Catalan has been difficult when you try to assimilate. In Barcelona and Catalonia the signs are often only in Catalan outside the tourist areas. If you are familiar with Castillano and/or French you can usually figure it out. Public transport announcements are only in Catalan. Fortunately their emergency signage is in Castillano and English. You are tacitly encouraged to learn Catalan as courses are offered for free, including one on-line that I found to be very difficult due to its format. We sang with local choirs and often the songs were in Catalan, as well as other languages including English. I am shy and often get tongue tied when I try to speak. In my experience it seems that locals have little patience and tend to revert to English or just avoid anything but basic greetings. In one of our choirs when a new director took over, rehearsals changed from Spanish to Catalan. And messaging for their WhatsApp groups was often in Catalan which I can accept but still seems thoughtless, knowing that other members don't speak it.;

Phrases to learn immedialely include greetings, please, and thank you, counting to 10, as well as "Do you speak English?" Courtesy phrases, especially in the regional languages, go a long way toward Improving your interactions, including in Catalonia. The following link includes recorded pronunciations - Catalan vowels much like English have more sound variations than Spanish, which has only one sound for each.
https://www.17-minute-world-languages.com/en/catalan/

bon dia - good morning
bona tarda - good afternoon
bona nit - good night
sil us plau - please
moltes gracies - thank you very much
merci - thanks
adeu - good bye
Parla angles? - do you speak English?
un dos tres quatre cinc sis set vuit nou deu - 1 thru 10