Language barriers in Morocco

Hello,

Learning a new language is a part of the expat process. Let's find out how crucial it is to know the language in Morocco.

What is the official language in Morocco, and what are the other popular spoken languages?

Is it possible to live in Morocco and get by without speaking the language?

How do you manage to communicate with the locals if you don't speak the native/official language fluently?

What are some popular and useful phrases that expats absolutely need to know?

Can you share some tips about how to survive in Morocco on a daily basis without speaking the language?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

The official language for labor, administrative and law-related related things in Morocco is French. However, the language that gives one the power to socialize, be more mobile and bend the rules is Moroccan Arabic (Darijah) and Tamazight. Spanish and versions of it are used in the North yet are simply either a form of habit or even mixed with Darijah.

There are plenty of French people in Morocco profiting from their forefather's colonial residual and many of them live in gated communities. They benefit from classist privilege that never disappeared after the colonial era. English speakers also thrive well in Morocco if they are diplomats or run businesses, such as import/export or educational ventures. English is either not accessible or valued by the average commoner and so, Anglophones tend to live in smaller pockets and bubbles throughout Morocco. Most end up learning French or had some knowledge of French prior to moving over. Learning general Arabic first and then local Arabic upon arrival is more realistic and practical for English speakers. Darijah is not a documented language but a hybrid of various languages. The best way to learn it would be through reading and writing general Arabic first. Moroccans will understand you and you'll be able to also read signage/documents (which are always equally in Arabic) while having the advantage of using it with other Arab speakers of different countries.

Communicating with the locals if you don't speak the native/official language fluently will require resilience, your hands lol, lots of money and time to waste. If you are a traveller already and have lived through Southeast Asia, Morocco will be a breeze. If you are an expat from Europe and don't speak French nor Arabic and are afraid of risky behavior, good luck!

In Morocco, these apps and tips are like gold:

-Linguee
-Google Maps (as things are often not properly positioned on the map!)
-Car park guardians (can connect you with apartment owners directly instead of apartment agencies)
-Eat where you see a high turnover of patrons or you will likely get sick.
-Like in the secular world, don't always believe people if they say they're Muslim. Let their behavior and actions be a testament to that!
-Take agreements with locals with a grain of salt. Be accountable to yourself even if someone makes you a promise!
-Prostitution is not talked about and many locals will try to reduce the epidemic here to that of other nations. I've never experienced such an uncontrolled yet coveted situation, anywhere in the world. Especially, online where intentions and identities can be hidden easier.

May the force be with you!

My French is minimal.  My Darija is coming along but google translator and I are attached at the hip

I really only have a smattering of French, which is well understood in Morocco and even less Darija which is the Moroccan Arabic.
However, I believe if you frequently visit or live here the more Darija you know the better and certainly civilities are in my mind essential even if you revert to French or English when your greetings have been exhausted.
Many of the younger generation and many professionals do speak English. I have not had a struggle using it but it is an embassasment since I have been coming here for many years.
I have engaged a tutor who gives me lessons on Skype when I am in Morocco or London. I pay him £10 an hour and he is excellent. Patient and professional in every respect.
My biggest problem is not the language structure or the gammer but pronounciation but with practice it is possible to get close enough to be understood.
Good luck and I do urge that you try. It is not as daunting as you might expect. If I can attempt it at 68 I'm sure it is easier for those who are younger.
Learn the alphabet too; once again at is easier that you might expect and can be fun. I can now read many of the shop fronts on Edward Road, London which I pass frequently.
Good luck everyone.

I would advice one to learn and use اللغة العربية الفصحى. Even after being married for 3 years to a Moroccan, I barely understand the lingual associations to Darrijah Arabiyah. Google Translator lies; don't trust it. Instead, rely more on the person you are talking to to determine accurate meanings of translations.