Language barriers in Belgium

Hello,

Learning a new language is a part of the expat process. Let's find out how crucial it is to know the language in Belgium.

What is the official language in Belgium, and what are the other popular spoken languages?

Is it possible to live in Belgium and get by without speaking the language?

How do you manage to communicate with the locals if you don't speak the native/official language fluently?

What are some popular and useful phrases that expats absolutely need to know?

Can you share some tips about how to survive in Belgium on a daily basis without speaking the language?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hello Priscilla,

The language barrier is a utopia.

The only reality is that there are people who settle in other countries without wanting to make the effort to learn the language of the country where they will settle.

Belgium already has three national languages ​​which are Flemish, French and German. And some belgian peoples make the effort to speak other languages ​​not officially recognized by the state as an official language.

It's all about integration. If the newcomer wants to create a linguistic ghetto by living only with people from the same country, it will be their choice.

Almost all cities in Belgium have set up national language learning structures for newcomers. It is requested a minerval really very weak. And these courses are open to everyone.

The easiest way is to open a notebook and, for example, go around the outside / inside of a house and designate each object. You mark the name in your language and the Belgian will write it in his language.

Hi Pricilla,

It doesn't mean that I will give up.  I am just one month here in Belgium.  Why I said  a language barrier, just because when I am applying for a job which what my experience in sales, it is always ask the language at least French.  Because in the country where I came from, the middle east, we can get the job as soon as you speak English, and proud to say that I can speak arabic as well fluently after sometime.  But I am happy that I can have another language to learn  and speak on the near future "French". I'm learning already the basic and I am a fast learner.  And I survive because  I don't select any job even housekeeping I can work, and most of the employer speak English.

Thank you.

Maria,

I appreciate your determination.

But it also shows a lack of preparation in your expatriation. This is a recurring error in the vast majority of cases by people who move to another country. Most people start from the assumption that in the new country everyone speaks the language (s) they know.

In any case, take advantage of the opportunity to study one or more languages in good conditions.  :top: