New soon-to-be expat in Ukraine

Hello, I am new here and would like to introduce myself.  My name is Doug Cook or Bernard D. Cook from Birmingham, AL USA, and I have spent a good bit of time in Ukraine in '16 and '17 and am planning on going back next month (yes, I know it's getting cold) to do a little more scouting.  I stayed there before in Odessa, last year even in the dead of winter....sooooo cold!!  Traveled around the country a bit but found Odessa more exciting and friendly than other places. This I suppose is because they are used to having lots of tourists there because of the Black Sea.  I am going to rent a hotel for a month or so since it is soooo cheap, and go back to my favorite tourist haunt, the Biergarten in the City Garden in the central part of City Centre.  Here I met ppl from all over the world and most actually spoke English, including the great bartenders!  I became friends with a couple of them outside their work and was actually invited to attend a Ukrainians only group for English-speaking practice, a group where all they spoke was English in order to sharpen their skills.  If anyone is a part of the expat community there or say, Kyiv or L'viv, which I hear is just gorgeous, I would like to meet you when I arrive.  Selfishly, it would do me a world of good to connect and not feel like I'm only America there.  Thanks for any info you would like to share, especially your favorite hotel.  Last two times I stayed at Hotel Mozart across from Opera House and found it satisfactory but nothing to write home about, but it WAS very convenient to almost everything.  Cheers!!!

Hello there

I am Martin and from UK but know live in Odessa , well in fact Chernomorsk. Just outside Odessa, I agree with what you say, most people here are very friendly due to to cosmopolitan view in the area, as to hotels, i know nothing, as we have our own place.
If you get stuck or need help feel free to ask, and we will see if we can help. Enjoy your future trip/

martin

Thanks Martin!  Appreciate your reply!  I am looking for a Russian language school which preferably offers group classes, as I perform better, learn faster. I am also looking for an English-speaking lawyer who doesn't prey on Westerners as well as a medical clinic that has a higher level of service than state-run facilities & has English-speaking Drs.  Sorry for so many requests but never know w/o asking.  Thank you! Can you pm on this site?

HI THERE
Russian language i cant help as the preferred language is know Ukrainian and English. Most if not all good solicitors, will have a translator if they cant speak English themselves. Intosana has some of the best facility's in the Ukraine, its will cost about $4000 a year with your status.
Depending where you intend to be the cost can differ widely..
if you need anything else feel free to ask http://into-sana.ua/

you must remember you will be on a visa thats why its costly

martin

Hello to you Martinodessa.
My name is Alan.  I think you may be someone who can give me good practical advice.  I currently live in Florida US of A.  My fiance lives in Poltava.  We have known each other since 2013.  I have been there many times and also to Crimea.  We plan to marry soon and I am interested in long term stay in Ukraine.  Our situation is a bit unique as we plan to eventually move to Central America not US.
Can you give me any insight as to what I need to know along these lines as to my staying in Ukraine married to a citizen please?  I own property here in Florida and am restoring a couple of valuable automobiles.  I am semi-retired and plan to travel back and forth a few months at a time.  But as I said we want to travel as a married couple to explore locations in Central America to eventually settle to.
Thank you.
Alan

Hi Alan

Interesting situation, but a nice one too be in. If you are going too travel and you can be away for say 2 to 3 months you could just keep coming to the Ukraine as and when you wish, However even if married dont over stay. The cost of a temporary visa for you is very cheap. So option one
Get married. Apply for Visa D in the USA. come here and obtain temporary residency with your wife.
Register at a property in Ukraine, and travel in and out as you wish. near when the year is up extend your temporary visa for another year. Not shore about cost for you Visa D but the temp visa and medical insurance is 1600 uah about $50 us
option two
keep travelling in and out under the 90in 180 rule.
option three
get your wife a US visa. then do six 3 months in every 9 in Ukraine the rest in the USA( can be expensive)
hope that helps a little

martin