Question about working with partner visa

Hey everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, sorry if it's not and I will happily move it to the correct place.

I'm planning on moving to Amsterdam with my girlfriend .If everything goes well I will be starting a masters degree next september.
I researched the visa situation and, if I understand correctly, I can get a student visa and my partner can get a partner visa, but when it comes to work she gets the same rights as me, which means she doesn't get a work permit.

I have 2 questions.

First of all is this correct? She won't be allowed to work with a partner visa if I'm studying?

Second, if this is correct: What can be done so she can get a job? If nothing can be done for her to get a job what would you recommend she do to fill her time there? are there any free/cheap courses or classes she can take? Can she work independently/start a business? How hard would this be?

For some context, she has a degree in cooking and has worked with food/restaurants stuff before so it would be ideal if she can get a job in a restaurant or kitchen. Any job in a hotel may work to. I've always thought that the job market in restaurants and hotels is pretty international and flexible so it may be possible for her to get a job in that fairly easily, is that correct in the netherlands?

Any tip/information woudl help!

Best,

Hi agubas,

From my experience being student in the past 5 years here, as one, you are not eligible to work (some say you do but only for a very limited hour/week) unless you are doing an internship if it is a part of the requirement of your university program.

Therefore, your partner will also not be able to work if she is here on partnership visa with you. However, she can work if the employer is willing to apply for a work permit for her which is pretty rare but still she can always try.

Good luck!