Do you need a driving license to buy an electric bike in SG?

I need to get an electric motorbike for daily travel around SG. Not sure if you need a license or not ( I don't have one).
Anyone who knows which shop sells them (preferably in southeast corner of D1) please share :)

I'm looking for 1 that has around 80-100km per full charge.

Thank you everyone for your  inputs!

glennchua wrote:

I need to get an electric motorbike for daily travel around SG. Not sure if you need a license or not ( I don't have one).
Anyone who knows which shop sells them (preferably in southeast corner of D1) please share :)

I'm looking for 1 that has around 80-100km per full charge.

Thank you everyone for your  inputs!

So, 80-100km output? :D

Yup. Any recommendations of shops?

I don't think the license is an issue to buy, but if you have an accident that causes injury, that's another story.
Why electric? 100 km is a lot foe electric.
Have you looked at used?

For electric bikes (xe đạp điện) you don't a license to buy or drive it. Also, you are not required to wear a helmet, although in Sài Gòn, it might be a good idea to wear one. I don't bother with it here in Vũng Tàu. Basically, it is considered equivalent to a regular bicycle.

I have an Asama which I am pretty happy with. Yesterday, I saw a bike in my building that closely resembles a Vespa/Piaggio type scooter. I only knew it was an electric bike because it was charging. If I see it again, I'll get back to you regarding the brand.

As for the battery, the capacity diminishes with use. In my experience, you will likely get that far on a charge at the beginning but after about half a year, you'll have to charge more frequently until after about a year and a half you will need to replace the battery.

I don't have a license, that's why.

johnross23 wrote:

For electric bikes (xe đạp điện) you don't a license to buy or drive it. Also, you are not required to wear a helmet, although in Sài Gòn, it might be a good idea to wear one. I don't bother with it here in Vũng Tàu. Basically, it is considered equivalent to a regular bicycle.

I have an Asama which I am pretty happy with. Yesterday, I saw a bike in my building that closely resembles a Vespa/Piaggio type scooter. I only knew it was an electric bike because it was charging. If I see it again, I'll get back to you regarding the brand.

As for the battery, the capacity diminishes with use. In my experience, you will likely get that far on a charge at the beginning but after about half a year, you'll have to charge more frequently until after about a year and a half you will need to replace the battery.

Hey John,

Thanks for the information and your advice. Wow, I didn't expect the battery to be drained that quickly. It seems like batteries here aren't of good quality perhaps?

I'll take a look at Asama. Hmm.. Maybe it's a better idea to get a 2nd half motorbike.

Cheers.

Well, 18 months of daily use isn't too bad. However, there are a number of different manufacturers such as Giant, HK Bikes, etc. If you seek out some dealers, they can certainly provide you with more detailed up-to-date info. Recent models probably have more advanced technology.

But,if you want to get an electric bike just to save money, then yeah get a second-hand motorbike because the cost of an electric bike isn't really much less, especially a good new one.

Regarding getting a license, I think there is a page explaining the process somewhere on this website.

johnross23 wrote:

Well, 18 months of daily use isn't too bad. However, there are a number of different manufacturers such as Giant, HK Bikes, etc. If you seek out some dealers, they can certainly provide you with more detailed up-to-date info. Recent models probably have more advanced technology.

But,if you want to get an electric bike just to save money, then yeah get a second-hand motorbike because the cost of an electric bike isn't really much less, especially a good new one.

Regarding getting a license, I think there is a page explaining the process somewhere on this website.

Thanks for the valuable advice John, appreciate it. I'll take them into consideration when I make a decision. Hope you're enjoying your time in Vung Tao. I'm actually a few hours away, in Phan Thiet. :)

Moving to the hustle and bustle of SG soon though!

A license is not required for anything under 50 cc.

CoderX10 wrote:

Yeah I have considered getting one under 50cc, however, friends have adviced me against it as they are difficult to maintain. It's not easy to find automatic motorbikes under 50cc as well.

Thanks for the input though, I appreciate it :)

glennchua wrote:
CoderX10 wrote:

Yeah I have considered getting one under 50cc, however, friends have adviced me against it as they are difficult to maintain. It's not easy to find automatic motorbikes under 50cc as well.

Thanks for the input though, I appreciate it :)

We just found a nice, old Honda Cub for GF's 16 year old son. Paid about 6M.
Her original idea was to go electric, not really sure why plan changed, but think it was probably due to costs and cost to maintain.

When you move to HCMC, I would check out Tigit and rent a motorbike from them for some length of time. It was because of their advice that led me to the Suzuki Hycate, which I love and like better than the Honda Air Blade at half the used price.
I ended up paying $US 550 for my 2009.
It's important that the bike is "local". My GF won't buy anything with outside HCMC plates, believing there is no real way to see if they are stolen or not.

Good luck

The hot climate is not very conducive (pun) to batteries, so they don't tend to last as long as at higher latitudes. But they're cheaper here anyway, so don't fret too much.

But yes, do check what your insurance will cover, as someone else said -- always do that anyway.

50cc automatics are around. Probably the way to go if you're not planning on long trips at decent cruising speeds on the open road, two-up with luggage. Google.

And yes, electric Vespas are around. I saw a few privately modified ones in Hoi An several years ago, and now the Piaggio factory itself is getting into the act: https://newatlas.com/vespa-prive-orders … er/56682/. However, Vespas do cost (a lot) more in Vietnam than they're really worth. Get a Honda or something else that shrugs people's shoulders -- ubiquitous, cheap, reliable, parts and repairs everywhere...

GO to DMV bring birth cert.blood work Hiv neg. a note from mom, police report from neighbor
yes you need License Ben Franklin.

just joking u look on street u think any of those went to driving school?
NOPE  !!!!!!

anthony500 wrote:

..u think any of those went to driving school?
NOPE  !!!!!!

I don't know anyone in my wife's family who has a driving licence or compulsory insurance.
This is also the reason why I had to make myself smart about this topic.
When I asked them, they only laughed at me.