Difficult Moving Situation (UK to Netherlands)

Hi my name is Robert.

I am planning on moving to the Netherlands for more than 4 month (more like 7 or 8) and I've been searching for information on this everywhere and came across this forum tonight and maybe you guys can help me shed some light on some issues I may be dealing with.

To start off I want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 4 months so I need a BSN number for a job and everything else.
Here comes my issue. I will be staying with my girlfriend for the first two months, the issue is that she is not allowed more than one person staying in the apartment in the contract but we have talked to her landlord who is a sound guy and hes allowing me to stay for no more than two months (hence the short stay at hers), also its a student dorm situation but there are others living with more than one person in the flat as well so landlords word can be trusted). After that I will be looking for my own room to live in.
If I cant register for a BSN because I do not have a living address, can I register for an RNI and get the temporary BSN, then register for a full BSN when I move into my own room?

Also, does RNI version look bad to companies trying to employ long term workers or if I explain the situation to them, would they understand?

Many thanks,
Robert.

Hi Robert and welcome to the Forum.

The issue will be that you must register with the Gemeente (within 5 days of arriving); in order to register, you must provide them with an address where you will be living.

RNI/BSN are basically the same thing; they are 2 different databases.  The difference is that the RNI is for temporary workers (which is what you appear to be), that need a BSN number so they can register with the doctor, open a bank account, pay your taxes (so work); but you still need to provide an address to register.  There is no lower standard of types of accommodation for either database.  If your landlord will not permit you to register at the address, then you need to discuss this with the Gemeente and see what they will deem as being acceptable.  Not all Gemeente operate an RNI database, it seems to have been organised into larger regional groupings.

I know of people that have used temporary addresses in the past (AirBnB, hotels etc).

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hey and thanks for replying so quickly!

Do I need to provide a local address for both of these or can I give my home UK address for one of these? Ive heard of people that have just registered on their UK address and got a temporary BSN?

Also if that does not work, would I be able to register using her parents address and are there any rules surrounding tennancy agreements that I need to watch out for within applying for thr RNI?

I will be moving to live with her in Hoofddorp but her parents are from a different region, so if I registered on her parents address could I still technically work in Amsterdam?

Thanks again!

Hi and welcome back.

You can't use your UK address.

A temporary BSN is the RNI system; there is no visible difference in the BSN number you get that identifies you as being temporary.

Using her parent's address until you sort yourself out may be a more sensible option; whether it's in line with the regulations I'm not sure, but it might be a good idea to get her parents to contact the Gemeente and say that daughter's boyfriend is coming to stay for a year and what do they need to do to enable you to register at their address?  Keep it simple; I wouldn't bother trying to explain the bits in the middle, it will just make it more complicated than it needs to be.  They may well advise that as it's only a year, that you register straight on the RNI, that doesn't matter because you will still get your BSN and you will keep that number no matter where you live in Holland.

The fact that you're going to accompany her to college and then find your own place can wait until you find it, then you just register there and de-register at her parent's place; don't forget, or you'll end up paying extra taxes for 2 homes.

You will also need Health Insurance from the day you arrive; this is the law in Holland, if you don't do it and are caught (most are because they are linked to your BSN), you will be charged for all the back payments from the day you arrived.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Okay thank you!

One last thing, do you know of any places that i could stay short term that would let me use them as the address for a bsn? Like hotels or airbnbs? Ive hear many people having issues but im hoping you might have an idea of places that do allow it?

Thanks again,
Robert.