What are the chances to get SPass?

Hey everyone!

My boyfriend and I are planning to move to Singapore withing a couple of weeks. He has secured a great job position there and we are very excited about the future.

The only thing that is bugging us is my position in all of this. Because I'm Latvian, I can enter the country visa-free and I believe that I am allowed to stay there for 90 days.

I have been doing some research and it seems quite challenging to find a job in Singapore. I have a Master's Degree in legal text translation but my work experience is mainly in administrative positions (legal secretary, customer support). At the moment I am doing freelance photography and video production/editing in London.
If I were to apply for a similar position such as administrator/secretary, would it need to be under EP basis or SPass basis? Our worry is that there are not many roles available on the EP side due to the high minimum wage requirement. For us high salary is not a requirement, the main focus now is to secure a position in Singapore to stay there together.

Would appreciate any and all advice on this. Thank you!

Or maybe I would have greater chances getting Work Pass?

Firstly, congrats both of you and welcome to Singapore.

Please note following points while searching jobs:
1. On tourist visa, 90 days staying period is highly unlikely as there have to be a valid reason to extend second time e.g. health reason. For 60days (30 days extension) can be granted online. But, in worst case you may have to leave Singapore then come back after few days (after 5 days staying outside) you can get 30 days more.

2. Company Secretary and legal admin jobs are available, you can find job portals. Read Singapore threads for the details.

3. Work pass nothing but EP or Spass only. I think you are talking about work permits which mean for labourers or blue collar jobs.

4. You may obtain certificate from your local country which will give approval of you both are couple. In that case, you can get DP.

Best way, to get marriage certificate, if possible.

I would recommend to visit various threads in Singapore forum to get additional information for an expat. Good luck

Thanks for your warm welcome and your detailed reply.

It is very useful to know that 90 day staying period is a bit too optimistic for us to count on  :D thank you for the heads-up.

I have spent a quite bit of time on different job-search sites, sending my CV to relevant positions and I got the impression that companies choose foreigners only if they are truly desperate. That is why I was curious to know if I am allowed to apply for the jobs that are below SPass salary threshold (yes, sorry, meant work permit not WorkPass)?

Isn't this certificate of us being a couple the same as a marriage certificate?

It's not a marriage certificate, but a joint declaration by a couple living together which is recognised by the local bureau in your country.

The reason is being required that you can obtain a DP then can be worked with Letter of Consent (LoC).

Note: ICA or MoM doesn't recognise Bf Gf OR fiancée concept here.

As I said work permit is for labourers or domestic helpers or other blue collar jobs. You with a recognised certificate or a degree can be applied S pass (degree certificate is not required) or EP (minimum qualification is a recognised degree).

Once you are here then apply local jobs. In general, a company prefers a candidate to call for an interview, who is already in Singapore. They have least preferences to call an overseas candidate, unless the position is at management level or in high demand where local job aspirants have lack of skills. Good luck

Thank you surya2k, you have been very helpful! We really appreciate it a lot!