Needed to make a large cash withdrawal: VIETCOM BANK to the rescue

The teller at my bank couldn't get his machine to work. So he took me down high street and asked half a dozen other banks. Only Vietcom Bank was able to handle the transaction. They charged 3.2% and it was done in minutes.

Hope this will help someone. I have been banking with VIETIN BANK and am ever so grateful since they sent some wires for me. No more WESTERN UNION for me!  :rolleyes:

I have used Vietcombank in Vietnam exclusively for my personal and corporate accounts since 2006,  They have been a good and reliable bank to deal with.  At the request of partners on some our projects, we have other banks in Vietnam, usually with poor results.  They either don't understand what they are do9ing, or just don't care.  Basically there is no care or service for the customer.

I don't know how much money you needed but for the folks in Saigon I found the perfect  ATM by accident in the Vinhomes Central complex. Between Park 7 and Park 6 there is a VietiBank ATM that lets me withdraw up to 20 million VND per transaction with a limit of two transactions per card per day and a fee of I think 60k VND. The day resets at 00:01. So with two credit cards I can withdraw up to 160 Million VND within 10 minutes.

Maybe this helps someone who struggles with getting enough cash.

Yes your informations are really helpful, I have to clear more things about Vietcom bank ,Is it safe or any limits about international transactions from any Asian and other countries. What they charges if funds are coming from another country and, is it safe to bring back enough money to another country as well, or they put some limits on everyday transactions.

ES good information, for business purpose how much they charge commission if we fix machine in our shop outlets and is this bank safe for international transactions as well, any limits upper side for everyday. And how about in and out of money for international transactions what % they charge can you provide me more details please

Linku wrote:

ES good information, for business purpose how much they charge commission if we fix machine in our shop outlets and is this bank safe for international transactions as well, any limits upper side for everyday. And how about in and out of money for international transactions what % they charge can you provide me more details please

Best to go and ask the bank.

Vietcombank does not charge for incoming wire transfers.  I have three personal accounts at Vietcombnk.  To date, I have not had a problem with upper limits on any transaction.  Vietcombank will charge for transferring funds to third parties,.  If within Vietcombank the charge is under VND 8,000 and for charges transferring funds to other banks it is about VND 12,000.

1) Foreign exchange account (mine is in USD)  All funds coming from outside of Vietnam go into the USD account.  If you wish to make payments for outside of Vietnam, the funds must come out of this account.  If you wish to take cash out this account (my case USD), Vietcombank will do a double currency exchange.  The first will be taking the USD out of the account at the Vietcombank USD-VND exchange rate and then make a second conversion back from VND to USD at the Vietcombank exchange rate, then you get the cash.  If you need the foreign currency for local use or if you are leaving Vietnam with cash (as long as it is under the declared value), you can get the cash in VND from Vietcombank and have it exchanged through a local money changer or other party that handles these types of transactions at a better rate.  Check the rates prior to conducting the transactions as these rates are constantly fluctuating.

2) VND account.   I transfer from the USD account to the VND account for living or other expenses I may need.   There is no charge for transferring between your accounts.  If you are not a Vietnamese citizen, you can not deposit money into the VND account except from your foreign exchange account.  The only two exceptions are payment you may receive from local payroll or local contractual payments such as consulting fees.  However, you will need to furnish relevant documentation to Vietcombank before they will accept the transaction.

3) Investment account, USD.  Any investments you wish to do such as in the equity markets or into a specific investment must first be deposited into the investment account.  The funds are then disbursed as per the legal documents such as an Investment Certificate, that are relevant to the investment.  At a later date, principal and profits can be deposited back into the investment account for expatriation.  You can invest in many opportunities using VND without the hassle of using the Investment Account, but you loose all you expatriation rights on the funds.

I also have a Visa card issued by Vietcombank that I use regularly with no problems to date, for purchasing items from outside of Vietnam or paying for services outside of Vietnam.  I also use the card extensively for traveling expenses and cash withdrawals while I am outside of Vietnam. 

Banking regulations will drive you crazy in Vietnam.  Use a good bank that has many foreign customers.  Don't open your accounts in a local rural branch that has few foreigners.  If possible go to the main branch.

drailton wrote:

Vietcombank does not charge for incoming wire transfers.  I have three personal accounts at Vietcombnk.  To date, I have not had a problem with upper limits on any transaction.  Vietcombank will charge for transferring funds to third parties,.  If within Vietcombank the charge is under VND 8,000 and for charges transferring funds to other banks it is about VND 12,000.

1) Foreign exchange account (mine is in USD)  All funds coming from outside of Vietnam go into the USD account.  If you wish to make payments for outside of Vietnam, the funds must come out of this account.  If you wish to take cash out this account (my case USD), Vietcombank will do a double currency exchange.  The first will be taking the USD out of the account at the Vietcombank USD-VND exchange rate and then make a second conversion back from VND to USD at the Vietcombank exchange rate, then you get the cash.  If you need the foreign currency for local use or if you are leaving Vietnam with cash (as long as it is under the declared value), you can get the cash in VND from Vietcombank and have it exchanged through a local money changer or other party that handles these types of transactions at a better rate.  Check the rates prior to conducting the transactions as these rates are constantly fluctuating.

I also have a Visa card issued by Vietcombank that I use regularly with no problems to date, for purchasing items from outside of Vietnam or paying for services outside of Vietnam.  I also use the card extensively for traveling expenses and cash withdrawals while I am outside of Vietnam. 

Banking regulations will drive you crazy in Vietnam.  Use a good bank that has many foreign customers.  Don't open your accounts in a local rural branch that has few foreigners.  If possible go to the main branch.

I have USD account at my bank, I can draw USD (crisp hard 100usd bills) they charge me like about 1 usd for every 1,000usd taken out. No complicated currency changes!  just go get the USD in cash & do what you want with it.

I have a debit card, I can draw up to 100mil vnd per day in Vietnam,
Outside Vietnam 30 million per day with a 4% transaction fee.