Hi my name is Mara from Belgium

hi everyone,

I'm mara and I'm going to move to Canada July 2019.

It only just became real for me and right now I'm dealing with all the stress of getting things done.

Need to sell my house, pack up my life, transport my animals, don't forget the kids!..

So I'm currenlty shopping for moving firms, pet transporten firms, etc

I'm going to Castlegar, where i'll BE attending college, in octobre where I'll be testing the waters.

There I need to find a school for my eldest, an affordable 4 bedroom for rent, find a car, see iF my international drivers licence can be exchanged for a valid BC one, since my Belgian can't and I only have seven days to do it.

So any support, advice and help on any of my items on the still to do list, is welcome 🙏

Thank u and nice to,meet you all  ..... and I meant to,post this is the new members section and obviously I suck at forums lol

@Marake2308

If you go to 'Discover' at the top of this page and click on 'Canada Guide' there is helpful information there.
Also take the time to read through other threads too.

Your most significant challenge may be finding "an affordable 4 bedroom for rent".

Fortunately, Castlegar is not downtown Vancouver. I highly recommend paying a bit extra for a convenient location to both your college and your eldest's school.

A word of caution. There are many fraudulent "moving services" and "immigration legal services"... always be vigilant and do plenty of background research. Avoid selecting the "cheapest" option since there are usually solid---and never good---reasons why they charge less than their competitors. Avoid wiring money to vendors unless they are a nationally recognized brand; always use your credit card for extra protection.

Hope your move to Canada is a pleasant experience!

EDIT:  I am a Canadian citizen living in Toronto, Canada.

Thank you. That's solid advice. I am indeed a bit worried about the four bedroom since it's also customary to ask for references and credit checks .. but I don't have either. For the first I've always been a home owner, for the second ... well I wasn't in Canada.

There are so many things...

The drivers licence... luckily as a student I can keep mine, but once I want to PR I can't even exchange mine for a bc one. I will need to retake the tests... I am allowed to drive a priority vehicle in my country, blue lights flashing and sirens blaring and in bc my permit is worth nothing, the irony...

I've read up about medical care, but I have no idea how it works.  I want everything to be accessible for my kids so I need to make sure things go smoothly...here in Belgium we also have a government run Medicare system but I think that's where the similarities end.

Honestly I'm scared out of my mind. If it were just me I'd be in adventure mode, ...hit me when it comes, but now I have my babies to consider and I want this so badly, for them and myself, but yeah scared.

Uprooting your entire family from Belgium to Canada is a major life change so your apprehension is understandable! Suggest breaking down this overwhelming project into manageable segments, then prioritize based on urgency and importance.

Some thoughts and suggestions (in no particular order):

Find good housing will be your top priority. However, Castlegar is a small town (population 10,000) and not a metropolitan city such as Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver. As nerve-wracking as it may sound, I would strongly recommend you defer your final housing decision until you actually arrive in Castlegar. Sure, thoroughly research pricing and availability beforehand but do not decide upon or pay a deposit on any rental property until you have personally visited/inspected the property.

On-line rental scams are very common in Canada. Obvious red flags: the supposed "owner" does not live in Canada (usually doing missionary work in Africa), the price is too good to be true, poor English writing skills, insists on non-refundable/non-traceable payment method (usually Western Union).

Possible solution: If you are planning a long-term stay (2+ years) in Castlegar, considering hiring a reputable and LOCAL real estate agent to find you a good rental property. You will have to pay a month's rent but the agent's personal knowledge of the area will prove invaluable. Also, they can help you with references and credit checks.

Obtaining a valid drivers license should not be a problem. Indeed, finding affordable drivers insurance is a much bigger challenge. Even if you were a driving instructor with 20 years' experience in Belgium, you will be paying the same rate as a brand new driver who just received their license last month. Also, please note almost all cars in Canada have automatic transmission.

For health care in B.C. you may need to obtain interim coverage because there is a three month waiting period before your health care becomes effective. Consider applying for additional family health coverage at the college you are attending. While not as bad as the U.S., provincial health care does not cover all situations (ie. specialized dental work).

Finally, when preparing your moving and settlement budget, add a comfortable "safety cushion" (ideally an extra 50%) to address any unexpected events and expenses.

Photo smurf

Thank you.

I actually did reach out to a real estate agency. Because indeed, it's a small community. I've noticed that there aren't many availabilities out there for a long period. Most are vacation residences, one or two bedrooms  or for sale.  I'm going there next month to connect to the local community and see how what and where.

I am, luckily,  aware of the many frauds out there since it's my job to know them ( lol 😂) I've learned if it's too good to be true, than it really is and don't fall for it.

I also drive an automatic here in Belgium. I hate driving stick, all the traffic jams here gave me sciatica.  I didn't even consider insurance, so proof of non accident in 20 years of driving here in Europe won't get me anywhere?

I learned that when I do eventually have to exchange my Belgian licence in Bc that there are no exchange conventions with my country. Which means driving test AND road test...

One other thing I have noticed is that no one speaks of exams when it comes to college. Are there midterms, end terms?

The health care I have covered. My Belgian insurance broker is very up to date on the international market and he has provided me with a very affordable alternative.

I'll be taking all my savings and the earnings of my sold life here, hopefully that will provide me with enough funds, if I can't find a part time job. That will also be a challenge.

Whenever you're dreaming, planning and working towards this you don't ever really consider how much change it will all be. But now that I'm dealing with it, and finding out the details, you didn't pay attention to at first, you realise how very fundamentally this will change your life.

Forget anything you know, from the smallest thing like dining in a restaurant to finding a job. It's scary. I'm grateful for the opportunity and I'm going to grab it with two hands but even though I though I was mentally prepared, I know I'm not and won't be for a good while yet.

You think immigration counselling is a thing? I'm going to study psychology, maybe it's an unfilled hole in the market :))).
Thanks for all the encouragement. It really helps.

The written and road test for your Canadian drivers license should not be difficult for an experienced European driver.

Canadian insurers will only consider Canadian driving experience. Exception: Any accidents and/or tickets from the U.S. are reported to Canadian insurers and WILL negatively affect your insurance coverage. But having a positive driving history in the U.S. (or anywhere else) will NOT benefit your insurance coverage. Strange but true.

Castlegar seems like a good place for study---and raising children---but you will probably want to seek long-term employment elsewhere (in B.C. or Canada). Castlegar is a small town whose local economy is focused on forestry, mining, and tourism. Unless your study is related to those areas, good opportunities for local employment will be limited.

Psychology can be an exciting career path! If you are planning on becoming a professional psychologist, please be aware of the lengthy educational requirements. In a nutshell:
= BA degree (4 years) in psychology
+ MA degree (2 years) in psychology... you now qualify for social worker
+ doctoral degree (4 to 5 years) + post doctoral training (1 year)... you now qualify for professional psychologist

May you have a pleasant visit to Castlegar this October!  :D

WoW Thanks for that info.

Ive been wondering about studying in Canada... do they take exams? If so how many times per semester and what kind?

I've tried to look for that but haven't found any info.

Photosmurf. I'm currently in castlegar and I'm in love. It's beautiful. People are amazing, food is good.

Getting lots of tips and help here.

Thanks for the amazing update!  :D:top: