Moving to Laos. Help please!

Hi there,

We are moving to Luang Prabang in December from Johannesburg with kids ages 2 and 4.  I am a gym fanatic, running fanatic and work remotely as a Recruitment consultant.  I have so many questions which I cannot seem to find via google, so if anyone can help, would really appreciate it.  Firstly, we have sorted school and transport out.  I would like to know how one goes about finding a domestic/nanny to do household cleaning and babysitting in evenings when needed and what the going rate would be?  Pharmacies - are they well stocked with all essentials or better to bring and get when travelling?  Are there clothes/shoes shops to do shopping for suitable kids clothing and adult clothing?  I know there is a gym, has anyone been and is it okay?  I know it is stocked with basic equipment which is fine, I don't need much and will run on the road.  I know there is a marathon through Luang Prabang in October, do they have any other running races that you know of?  Besides touring, are there any other activities for kids?  So so many questions, happy if one is answered:)

Oh and hairdressers that are reliable

Hi Rutherfordm,

I created a new topic as from your post on the Laos forum.

Good luck,
Christine

Thank you!

Hi Rutherfordm

There is an expat community in LP.
Read through other threads on this section of the forum and when you find a member, just click on their avatar, then add them to you contact list and send a message.

These members should be able to suggest how to find domestic help. Medicines are available from pharmacies
The hospital in Luang Prabang Provincial Hospital. There is also Phakan's clinic which has a Face Book page.

Do have medical insurance cover? There is Allianz in Vientiane which will cover you in LP. They work through the Provincial Hospital.

Google search will find hairdressers. Some on FB.  You will have no problem finding clothing shops.

Thank you very much!

Hi!

Moved to LP at the start of this year, having been in Vang Vieng and Vientiane before that. Of the 3, LP surprisingly is the most limited gym wise, as far as my experiences go. They're all minus AC and the gym in the centre of town is limited. And they've recently lost their squat stand as well :-( The other one I've used further out is a little more extensive, but it's still definitely basic. Old free weights dominate!

Hospitals are limited and pharmacies are good in that you can get anything without the need for a doctor's prescription. However, supplies are limited. The most extensive stocks are at the one in Dara Market.

Any other questions, please feel free to message me!

Good Luck!!

Alastair

Thank you very much for your info!

I would say on the hairdressing front, for myself and my Laos gf, we go local to a basic Vietnamese hair place. Costs me 15,000Kip :-) However, their English is limited. The  best place that I am aware of is "Master Cut", which happens to be very close! This is new and upmarket for LP. On the link below, hopefully you will see where it is. The place I go is about 100 metres NE of that!

Master Cut Luang Prabang