Moving to the Netherlands from the UK

Is it possible to use a hotel or hostel address to register for a BSN? If so would this then entitle me to look for jobs and work? Once I am employed I can then start looking for my own place to live?

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I love easy questions; your Forum information tells me that you're a UK citizen, so the answers are:

Yes, yes and yes.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Cynic wrote:

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I love easy questions; your Forum information tells me that you're a UK citizen, so the answers are:

Yes, yes and yes.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you. Just to clarify, as long as I have the funds to cover my stay in a hotel, I can use that address to find employment and then rent my own place? Basically is this a acceptable method of moving to the Netherlands on a permanent basis?

Sorry for the scepticism, it's just I've been researching this for days and it almost seemed impossible until now!

As an EU citizen, you have the right to live and work anywhere in the EU.  You do have the additional requirement in Holland to register at the Town Hall (Gemeente) when moving to Holland for more than 90 days, within 5 days of arriving in the country - that's it; this is where you get the BSN number that allows you to pay your taxes, register at the doctor, open a bank account etc.  People do register from places like AirBnB, hotels etc (my daughter did it from an AirBnB address when she first returned); you should make sure that your landlord has no issues with you registering; some won't allow it because they don't wish the Dutch tax-man to know of their extra income.

You specifically mention "the funds to cover my stay in a hotel"; they don't check it, but you should be aware that should you become a burden on the state, you will be returned to the UK.  You may find hotels a bit expensive, so it's worth looking around.

Don't forget to let the Gemeente know of your change of address once you've found your own place, otherwise, you might end up paying 2 lots of council taxes.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

That has been alot of help, thank you! I can now move on with the next steps, if I come across any other hurdles I will be sure to bear you in mind.