Bring personal belongings as checked luggage

Hello,

I'm planning relocation to Malts from non-EU country.
I do not have a lot of stuff and want just to pay to airline for 3 piece of luggage (some of them probably 32 kg).

Article on Customs website https://customs.gov.mt/individuals-trav … -residence is mainly describing how to bring it with shipping company.

Can somebody help how should I deal with customs in case if I bring everything as checked luggage?

Thanks

Shouldn't be a problem, you must notify the airline you will have "X amount of extra suitcases that weigh .......... kg" and they will charge you at the excess baggage rate.  My daughter did it when she moved from the UK back to Holland; any luggage you bring with you as checked in luggage will be treated the same as if you only had 1 suitcase; the official will (maybe) ask you if you have anything to declare and you make a personal declaration; the fact you have more luggage than usual may well attract you to the official.

Please read carefully the information from the airline regarding the carriage of dangerous goods in your checked in luggage.  The link you provided has a list of restricted goods as far as Customs are concerned, this will also apply to checked in luggage, so please read it carefully.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Cynic,
Thank you for reply.

UK and Holland are still in customs union.
Within EU rules are different.

I'm coming from non-EU country.

Only difference is on restricted items - i.e. booze, cigs, electronic goods less than 6 months old.  At least it was when I did it for a living.